Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Getting fuel stains out of balsa ?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Getting fuel stains out of balsa ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 03:06 AM
Flyer49er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting fuel stains out of balsa ?

My son picked up a "free" plane at a Swap meet. It certainly looked dusty and older, but it was intact. Well only a 14 year old could love this ugly duckling... I have no idea what it is! Well, the fixup began and soon it was realized the whole front fuselage was fuel soaked at one time and the covering wasn't sticking much anymore. One of the veteran flyers had mentioned using K2R spot remover as a foam to dissolve and remove the fuel and revitalize the existing balsa. So far have not found K2R anywhere. Any other advice ?
Old 05-01-2002, 03:45 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default K2R

Click on the link below to order K2R via the internet and receive it in the mail. My local Walmart stopped carrying it also and this place advertises it online and charges a very low shipping fee

http://www.americarx.com/6079.html
Old 05-01-2002, 05:29 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mulipule appilcations of corn starch will also take out the oil.

Just apply, let stand and brush away. Depending on how badly oil soaked it is, will determine the number of times you will need to reapply.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:46 AM
Flyer49er

Thanks for the tip on K2R. Our local Walmart does not carry either. Have not heard of repeated corn starch applications... is this dry powder or mixed with water to make a slurry? If it is dry powder, I don't see how it can penetrate deep into wood.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:26 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dry cornstarch....it will draw up the oil but it will take multipule applications.
Old 05-05-2002, 01:09 AM
Flying Scotsman

Default K2R

Use K2R...you can get it at Kroger and "all good stores" in the car and household cleaning deparment. I used this on my trainer after the fuel tank went belly up and spilled fuel all over the inside of the plane. K2R worked a treat in getting the fuel out of the balsa.

Good Luck.
Steven
Old 05-05-2002, 06:51 AM
Flyer49er

Default K2R

Will get some K2R form the site Homebrewer so graciously provided. Have not been able to find locally at all.
Old 05-05-2002, 10:27 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try using your monokote iron or heat gun before the KR2. If using the iron, put a piece of paper towel on the area and then apply the iron. The heat will "boil" out the oil - again multiple applications will be needed. With the gun, just heat the surface and wipe off the oil. The KR2 will still be needed to get the remainder out.

RCPAUL
Old 05-07-2002, 05:31 AM
Flyer49er

Default K2R

Anyone know where I can get any K2R? Seems like there are no local stores that carry this. The website that Homebrewer gave is out of stock. Any suggestions?

Flyer49er
Old 05-09-2002, 03:02 PM
hebertjj

I'll go RCPaul one step further. Use a regular steam iron on high and hit it with a lot of steam with a paper towel between the iron and plane. THENNNNNN ... soak it heavily with alcohol and cover with a paste made of denatured alcohol and corn meal and/or corn starch. Repeat a couple of times and check by steam ironing with the paper towell again. The amount of crud on the towel will tell you how well you've done. See if you can find some surface prep liquid in the paint section like Red Devil's Liquid Sandpaper and wipe it down with that and finally give it a good coat of Balsarite.

K2R works on the same principle as alcohol/cornstarch; a solvent to loosen the oil and an adsorbant (K2R uses fullers earth) to lift the oil out.

Howzat,
Joel
Old 05-10-2002, 02:48 AM
Flyer49er

Default K2R alternative

I just have to guess and say herbertjj is a chemist or engineer out fo Oak Ridge and I,m just a Cheesehead with an oily plane! Hey, I am not saying this is too much comprehend but you sure get into the project! Grateful for the advice and will let you know how it works...

Better airtime.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:52 PM
cbreeze
My Feedback: (26)

Default Fuel soaked balsa

Anyone heard of using break cleaner? My brother-in-law clams that he used this on a recent restoration and it worked very well. Sometimes I don't know if he's pulling my leg or not. Guess I will have to try it. I live in the Chicago area and K2R is apparently not available here either.
Old 05-18-2002, 01:04 AM
hebertjj

cbreeze,

Break cleaner may be a good solvent to loosen the oil, but something to absorb the oil is still needed. Again try corn meal and/or corn starch.