Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering Problem specially with Monokote

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering Problem specially with Monokote

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 09:06 AM
FCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering Problem specially with Monokote

Why Monokote or any other covering gets wrinkled or gets bubble traps after 1 or 2 months, no matter how stretched (for monokote) and neatly you work. I really hate this.

Is there any permanent solution for this.
Old 05-04-2002, 02:16 PM
wbrian

Perhaps a stupid question, but are you experiencing this with a plane that you take out to the field and exposed to the sun and extreme heat? Or are you noticing this even when the plane is just stored in your house without use?
Old 05-04-2002, 04:10 PM
RGM
My Feedback: (5)

Default Wrinkles

I used monokote for years and was regularly battling the wrinkles. The past few years I have been using Ultracote, and have experienced no wrinkle problems thus far. I live in an area subject to quite a range in temperature variation from season to season. Nite time temps get as low as the low 30s to high 20s in the winter months to as much as 100+ during the day in the summer months. My planes are housed in the garage, and remain tight and wrinkle free. I also find Ultracote somewhat easier to work with than monokote. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:09 AM
Ted Farmin

I will say the same as RGM, found Ultracoat to be rinkle free. I only
use monokote when weight is very important to me. Have been
in the hobby for 45 years, it was silkspan covering when I started.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:30 AM
FCC

wbrian

That is obvious that when you take the palne for flying it will be exposed to sun but not much heat. The only thing that attracts me for Monokote is its luster other wise it is difficult to cover and gets wrinkle after sometime.

I want to know something more about Ultracoat, does it got the same shine and finish as Monokote.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:40 AM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FCC;
Answer is NO! Ultracoat is sorta a dull shine(Satin). While Monokote is a High Luster. With tempratures in North Dakota as well Humidity at times : ) from -40F Ambient to 100F Ambient (this is rare). with these flucuations it's virtually impossible to maintain a bubbless aircraft.
Even aircraft that have the covering ironed completely down will show signs of bubbling after 5-6 Months of temp changes in the work shop which is maintained at 65F continuous.
Old 05-07-2002, 12:09 PM
wbrian

FCC – thanks
I love it when you try to help someone who asks a question and all you get is attitude. I was simply trying to eliminate external factors to better help you but never mind.
Fact is, many people including myself don’t experience bubble traps period and certainly not after “after 1 or 2 months” after covering. With proper technique most of your problems can be eliminated. But go ahead and cop an attitude and blame it on Monocote I’m sure that technique will work ----Not
Old 05-07-2002, 04:49 PM
FCC

wbrian

Please share the technique that you are talking about. Is there any special method?

The procedure that I follow is to stretch the Monokote and then apply heat, and this makes really nice finish. But I am talking about after 1 to 2 months result.

Whats your technique?
Old 05-07-2002, 05:49 PM
BingoFlyer

I have very few wrinkles using MonoKote. When I fist started using it I had the same problems, I have found out that if you only shrink as much as required to get the surface tight the wrinkles do not appear. I cover as tight as I can get it before shrinking a then only shrink as needed. I have planes that I built, covered, and flew in Michigan as well as Florida in both extremes. Hope this will help you.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:11 PM
Roadrunner

Default Trouble with Monokote

Is there a solution? Sure, use 21st Century Fabric covering. If a wrinkle shows up later, a two second blast with your hot air blower and it is gone.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:46 AM
solarvolt
My Feedback: (3)

Default Re: Trouble with Monokote

Originally posted by Roadrunner
Is there a solution? Sure, use 21st Century Fabric covering. If a wrinkle shows up later, a two second blast with your hot air blower and it is gone.
I agree whole heartedly! Best stuff to use for years! But as far as film coverings, I never had any good luck with Monocote....used it on just a few planes years ago, and it never held up. The only film I'll use is Ultracote (Oracover). I've used it in my building service for some time and have never had any complaints either.

Jim
Old 05-10-2002, 04:29 PM
tmproff

Default Hairspray

I've heared (but not tried) that you can spray cheap hairspray (Aquanet) lightly onto the plane, and this will help with bubbling. I've heared a lot about balsarite as well, anyone experienced with this stuff?
Old 05-10-2002, 06:08 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I go with Ultracote too. I used Monokote ever since it hit the market, then I tried several others and found that while they all had their good and bad points, they were ALL easier to work with. Once I started using Ultracote, I kept on using it. It does NOT have a "Satin" look to it either, it shines just fine (although I've never actually done a side by side 'shine' comparison) I have been using it for years and recently, while working on a friend's airplane, used the Monokote that he had already purchased. After that experience, I swore I'll NEVER go back to using that stuff! It is 5 times harder to work with than Ultracote, and it doesn't shrink nearly as well. Plus, Ultracote has the added bonus of having a white paper backing. Perfect for drawing your designs on before cutting them out.

If you've never used Ultracote, you owe it to yourself to try it at least once. (Gee, I sound like a commercial)
Old 05-10-2002, 09:34 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Minnflyer;
I don't have any idea what type of Ultra Cote you ever bought but bottom line is it does have a Satin finish compared to a High gloss of Monokote.!!!!
Old 05-11-2002, 12:28 AM
solarvolt
My Feedback: (3)

Default Covering Saga

Well.......the way I look at it is that this type of subject involves primarily people's opinions. I my opinion, no one's opinion is right nor wrong. Whatever works.....that's my motto

Jim
Old 05-11-2002, 03:30 AM
nchrome

Default monokote problems

I am a die hard monokote user but I have found Solartex to be a fantasic covering to use also. It conforms to curves and you can if not smart enough to stop on the schrinking crush a wing or even a plane. This stuff is very tuff and will except paint with no problem. It workes especialy good for antieck planes.
Old 05-11-2002, 04:23 AM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Monokote here. I have noticed that in the heat of the summer months it will have wrinkles. But then again when its hot I get wrinkles too! I dont see how these other coverings can be any stronger than Monokote. Im sure they are all great and really strong but in my opinion its *** for tat. I'll use any of it as long as I can find the color I want...
Old 05-11-2002, 05:55 PM
greg-RCU

I used Ultracote first and the plane does get some bubbling on the fuse when sitting the hot-hot sun. Not a problem on most days.

Next plane I used Monokote. If it's shinnier I can't tell. Perhaps very slightly. I believe it is a bit stronger too. However it defenitly is very tough to work with compared to the Ultracote. Doesn't shrink around compound curves as well and doesn't stick as well which is a real problem on the sheeted surfaces. Man what a pain!
Old 05-11-2002, 08:27 PM
RGM

I' m with Zebra - to each his own. I used monokote since you could buy the stuff by the foot, and it was OK. I just never knew the difference cause I tend to stay with what I know works for me. The first time I saw the Goldberg ads for ultracote touting its virtues, I thought OK, I'll give it a try. Finally got around to it a couple of years back. Monokote does have a better sheen to it though.