Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

CHARGING LEAD-ACID BATTERY

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

CHARGING LEAD-ACID BATTERY

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 12:24 PM
MAPPER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHARGING LEAD-ACID BATTERY

I have a new 12v7.2 lead-acid rechargeable field battery that I purchased new. I am new to the hobby and I assumed
this battery was fully charged and ready for use however When I got home I discovered It had hardly any reading on my voltmeter. My plan was to use it for a while and in the mean time pick up a charger somewhere. Now I am forced to go hunt for a charger or take the battery off of my lawn mower when I want to go fly. My question is where can I get a overnight wall charger that will charge this battery. Does Wal-Mart or any local place like that sell small plug-in type wall chargers that will charge my 12v7.2 lead-acid battery. For information I might mention it is a sealed gel seal battery.

Map
Old 11-20-2003, 12:53 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: CHARGING LEAD-ACID BATTERY

I use a Radio Shack 12 regulated power supply wall charger 300 ma. on gel cells. Been working good for yrs.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:08 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That battery is really going to raise the landing (and takeoff) speed on your Kadet!

(just kidding) I have a box of power supplies from old phone answering machines that failed. The power supplies were okay, I just kept 'em. Some of them are 12V, and less than 300 mA. I used one to charge my 'Vette battery, just put clamps on the wires. If you have one, the output should be listed on the case.

Good luck!
Dave Olson
Old 11-20-2003, 01:12 PM
ekrcflyer

Hi Map:

Generaly you can get this type of charger in any automotive store (look for motorcycle batteries and chargers section), or Wal-Mart is a great idea (in fact, that's the place where I got mine. It is not exactly a "wall charger" size, but it is not too big either.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:30 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To safely charge a lead/acid battery, you need a current limited but a constant voltage charger. You can get by with a cheaper charger but risk destroying the battery by overcharge. Remember that lead/acid batterys do not take kindly to deep discharge as that will usually destroy them. Check the voltage (with no load) and when it reaches 12 volts, recharge. Check out Red's site at www.rcbatteryclinic.com for some good info on the care of batteries.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:17 PM
Dsegal

Make life simple for yourself and buy an automatic charger. I have an old Ace constant voltage charger and it automatically takes of things. Currently available is the Battery Tender Jr. at http://www.hughesrc.com/