Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

2nd Avistar C.G ?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

2nd Avistar C.G ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 12:50 PM
Zoolander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Avistar C.G ?

I got a hold of another Avistar for real cheap and want to do things alittle different compared to my first one. My first avistar I installed a OS46FX and had to add 6oz of tail weight to get it to balance. It flies great but I don't really want the extra weight in the tail on my new Avistar. I have read abought shifting the battery pack towards the tail, which I have experiemented with, but I just can't see how I can brace my Rx pack so far back into the fusalge. Has anyone placed their battery pack in the Fuse tail? If so how in world do you have enough room to work around in their let alone come up with something to brace the battery? The only option to not adding weight would be to down size the engine with a La40 or 46.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:20 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: 2nd Avistar C.G ?

In strapping gear in factory locations, I haven't seen any Avistar that reg'd. any tail wt. They were using OS, T/T and Evolution 40's or 46's. Didn't you mean .6 oz.? I've only used 6 oz. in the nose of Sig bipe for balance.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:49 PM
Zoolander

No I mean 6 oz's at the tail. It's my second Avistar that has required so much weight. I'm not sure what to do at this point I quess I could try to mount the battery in the tail but I'm not quite sure how long I can extend my battery cable?
Old 12-03-2003, 01:12 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Ok then, let's approach this from a different angle. Are you checking the cg with the tank full instead of dry ? If not, then trade the lead prop for a wooden one.

You need to consult a local club veteran to get help.These planes are normally a little tail heavy with a smaller lite motor.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:12 PM
CHOCOFAN

O.K. Zoolander this is what you have to do if you R using a . 46 engine place your battery AFT. in front of the former # 5 ,C.G. 3 1/4 " that should fix your C.G. problem
Old 01-13-2004, 01:32 PM
tsawyer148
My Feedback: (8)

Like CHOCOFAN said, move the battery back. I have 2 Avistar's as well, one with a TT Pro .46 and one with an OS LA .40. What you can do is set the battery on the fuse and move it around until you find where the approximate balance point is. Then, just cut a small hatch in the bottom of the fuse at that point and use something like pine strips or ? and secure it to the inside of the fuse. Then use a piece of velcro or something of the like and strap it to the piece inside. Once it's in, just put the piece of the fuse you cut out back over the hole in the bottom and cover it with a piece of Monokote. Just make sure it won't shift during flight. The one I have with the TT Pro .46 had to have the battery about 1 1/2" in front of the tail to balance, but it worked fine and have no problems with it.

T.