Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Painting with Chevron-smell/basement?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Painting with Chevron-smell/basement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 02:46 PM
CAM2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting with Chevron-smell/basement?

With this cold weather snap in the northeast, How bad will the house smell if I brush on Chevron paint working in the basement? My shop in is the garage and even with a small electric powered oil heater, I don’t think I can get the garage warm enough. What do you guys do? [:@]
Old 12-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Rubbie

Default RE: Painting with Chevron-smell/basement?

Just don't do it. I painted with Chevron once and I would never do it again. The whole house smelled and my family almost killed me. I had to open all the windows a day later to air it out. I have since moved to the small Tamiya paints, they don't smell nearly as much. I find if my family can't tell that I am spraying in the basement then they are ok with me. I just use Lustercote Clear after about a week of drying. Or you can wait for a nice dry spell in a couple of days or so. I am in Toronto and the weather is forcasting a little above freezing on the weekend, you could dry then?

Good luck
Old 12-03-2003, 06:42 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've sprayed Chevron paint in a 45 degree shop. I didn't notice any problems. It still seemed to flash off fairly fast. I let it sit over night before I moved the plane, though.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:59 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

I paint on the back porch (enclosed) in our apartment. It gets fairly cold. If its 20 outside its about 48 back there. Anyway, I have a window fan that sucks the fumes out, and I allways use a resperator and goggles. I've never used Chevron paint, but I have sprayed dope back there as well as automotive paint and that stuff is nasty. Fortunately for my wife & cats, the porch is closed off from the rest of the apartment. The big PITA for me is the damn dust this city produces. Anyway, if you're in the basement though w/o any ventilation, I wouldn't do it. You'll get very high and stink up the whole house [:'(]
Joe
Old 12-03-2003, 08:13 PM
JimTrainor

I plan to spray dope inside (unfinished basement) and expect it to stink.

I simply plan to enclose the area with light weight plastic sheeting and setup a fan to exhaust the fumes out a small basement window via a length of 8 inch diameter vent tubing. If everhting is sealed it should create a negative pressure environment - i.e. air will leak in, but no out. I expect that will keep the stink at bay.

The incoming air will be filtered by a cheap furnace filter, so it should help with dust control.

I also have a good respirator to use.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:15 AM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

I plan to spray dope inside (unfinished basement) and expect it to stink.

I simply plan to enclose the area with light weight plastic sheeting and setup a fan to exhaust the fumes out a small basement window via a length of 8 inch diameter vent tubing. If everhting is sealed it should create a negative pressure environment - i.e. air will leak in, but no out. I expect that will keep the stink at bay.

The incoming air will be filtered by a cheap furnace filter, so it should help with dust control.

I also have a good respirator to use.
That should work. My brother & I set up a "similar" system years ago, in my parents basement. It will stink, dope is nasty, but at least you have an "exhaust system" and one of the most important things, a respirator. I also sent you a PM, the "older" users would get a kick, but I don't want to share it with the teens.
Joe
Old 12-04-2003, 06:58 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

I paint in my basement, smells up the house for a while and my wife and kids complain but they have gotten used to it. It goes away in a day or so.