Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

2 stroke engine inverted

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

2 stroke engine inverted

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 11:42 AM
jetlag1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke engine inverted

hi:
I am fairly new to rc flying and Santa surprised me with a seagull model pc-9 arf. Even more of a surprise was finding out the engine mounts upside down. I also received an OS-50sx 2stroke to go along with it. This is my first time building a model and any help on mounting and running this engine is greatly appreciated
thanks
Old 12-25-2003, 11:58 AM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: 2 stroke engine inverted

Happy Holiday, Jetlag-The first thing I would do is try to set up a test stand so I could learn to start and adjust everything inverted before mounting it in the model. An on-board glow lighter or a remote mount for lighting the glow plug will save a lot of wear and tear on your knees; the on-board lighter will definitely help the engine idle; your engine will flood easily when starting and idle mixture will probably have to be leaned out. Most important, get the most experienced person you can find to help you build and fly your model successfully. You are embarking on a wonderful, life-long journey of discovery. There are lots of footprints to follow on the path ahead, so try not to go off the trail on your own. Good luck...JIM
Old 12-25-2003, 12:28 PM
jetlag1

thanks, I have already ordered an engine stand. The local flying club has some great fellows whom I intend to tap for the project.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:32 PM
jetlag1

mitchpittsman:
I should have asked you about the onboard glow lighter. Does it run all the time, or do you remotely fire it?
thanks
Old 12-25-2003, 11:26 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

General practice is to set up the on-board igniter with a switch controlled by the throttle; usually set to come on at or below about 1/3rd. (Great engine by the way.)

Glad (and relieved) to hear you have a club lined up! I believe that plane will be a fairly stable aircraft, but it is certainly beyond a typical trainer, so be sure to stick with an instructor.

Welcome to RCU AND RC flight. You're gonna' enjoy this.
Dennis-
Old 12-25-2003, 11:34 PM
Ted Farmin

Welcome aboard Jetlag. As a instructor having taught more than 30 RC and many full size
I can't emphize strongly enought how important it will be to check out (by watching him fly)
a good instructor and staying with him until you can make at least a dozen good landings.
Don't for a minute think you can fly alone if your instructor is late or doesn't show up.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:35 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One of our members has the same OS 50SX installed inverted in his U-Can-Do 3D .46, and the engine runs great without onboard glow driver. If you take the time to tune the engine right, especially the low end, then you won't need onboard glow driver. To me, onboard glow driver just adds extra weight. It's also one more thing to worry about. It's OK to use onboard glow when the engine is still breaking in. When the engine is fully broken in, it should run fine inverted without extra help.