Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What is wrong?

Old 01-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Pocho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is wrong?

Hello everybody!

I have tried to apply koverall over the side of my piper fuse, (it has a stringer down the middle length) and I just cant get it on even around that stringer. I know it is not supposed to look this way. I ironed it, gunned it with a heat gun, applied a second coat of stix it, I applied dope, but it still comes out uneven. How can I fix this? Man I would hate to start over but if I have to uncover the side and start over I guess I will do this, but how can I go about it diffrently?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52221.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	87155  
Old 01-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is wrong?

Doesn't that stringer need to be sanded flush with the fise?
Old 01-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Pocho

um i thought about sanding the stringer down but the building directions only state that it should be rounded down. should i cut down some anyway?
Old 01-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

I can't tell what type of aircraft you have from the size of the area covered in the photo, but... If the offending stringer IS NOT supposed to be flush with the side of the fuselage, then it is there to provide an angular shape and lift to the covering.

Is it possible that you have covered tight to the sides of the fuselage when you should have pulled the Coverall tight and kept it lifted from the fuselage? Without seeing more of the aircraft or knowing the type, I find it difficult to give accurate input.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Pocho

I apologize
It is a great planes piper cub, I beleive that there is supposed to be some lift on the covering. I just cant get it even.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The covering on a Cub should be attached at the window opening, then NOT to the fuselage side down to the stringer, but fit over the stringer and down to the bottom of the fuselage. NOT pasted to the sides. You might look at a real Cub, or any fabric covered plane to see how the fabric touches only the stringers, fore and aft and top and bottom longerons.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:03 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul hit the nail on the head. It should not be tacked down along the sides. Like this:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13855.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	87264  
Old 01-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Pocho

I just want to say thanks for your help especially for taking time with the visuals (I know I need them). I will try again, God I love this hobby!