Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Reworking my CG Exteme 330

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Reworking my CG Exteme 330

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Munchee
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reworking my CG Exteme 330

I bought a Carl Goldberg Extreme 330 from a guy that I fly with.

When I got it home, I determined that I would put my .46 fx in it to start with.

He had used an .80 size surpass in the plane and now the holes are too far apart for my motor.

Does anyone know a good way to securely mount my .46?

Thanks

Munchee
Old 01-19-2004, 11:51 PM
aps f4u

Default RE: Reworking my CG Exteme 330

are you talking about the motor mount,or the fire wall?if its just the motor mount,get a new one and drill your holes out to fit your .46.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:02 AM
podo
My Feedback: (2)

You mean he had to cut away some of the wood mount to fit his crankcase through? If you use the existing mount face at the bottom (or top) put a piece of 1/8" G10 fiberglass or some similar material -you'll crush plywood-at the back where the nuts go and just drill through. You can build out the other side with a piece of hardwood glued and screwed up into the existing mount then back this with G10 and drill through (missing the screws you used to extend the mount, of course).
Pete
Old 01-20-2004, 08:19 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Extreme 330 has the right thrust already cut into the beam mounts so you are going to lose this.

I have one with a Saito .91 in it so I know the amount of carving someone did to put in an .80.

I like the idea of using G10 on both sides and filling in. If you can't find G10, and ask some of the scale guys in your club where to find it, they seem to use G10 for flaps and other stuff. It's like printed circuit or perf board without the holes. You could use good, aircraft 5-ply on both sides, but in any case, you might want to add the right thrust.

My plane balances right with the Saito .91 so the extra weight of the mod won't adversely affect your CG, I would think. One reason I used the larger engine is I kept hearing about people having to add 4-5 ounces to balance with a .46, so why not add a 4-5 ounce heavier engine.