Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

ARGH!!! Fuel Eats Hangar9 Ultracoat Paint

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ARGH!!! Fuel Eats Hangar9 Ultracoat Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 04:56 PM
wrongwaywayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARGH!!! Fuel Eats Hangar9 Ultracoat Paint

I just spent $40 on 4 cans of Hangar 9'S Ultracoat paint that doesnt stand up to 15% Nitro glow fuel. Now what do I do? I followed the directions, even used their primer. What can I put on top of this? How do I prep it? The true red doesnt even look like the real thing.

!@#$$%^%#@#@!!@##$ (Sorry)

Now I feel better.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: ARGH!!! Fuel Eats Hangar9 Ultracoat Paint

I had the exact same experience with the new Ultracoat paint. It seems to eat away at the clear coat even faster than the colors so that's not the secret. I'll never use it again (at least not until/unless its reformulated).

Hangar9 really needs to do something about this!!! At least remove the claim that it is compatible with 15% nitro from the label!
Old 01-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I know how you feel..I tried it also and it sucks..Not even a close color match..I tried Chevron paint and used white primer underneath instead of gray and it came out alot better than the Hangar 9..Still not a perfect match but not to bad..I also spray clear over the cowl and never had a problem with paint coming off
Old 01-27-2004, 05:21 PM
wrongwaywayne

Whats the best way for me to solve this problem. Would another clear coat of some other product fix this?
Old 01-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

You can buy glossy or flat clear poly-u spray to go over the paint..That will help..Ive never had any paint come off using the clear spray
Old 01-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Boss248

Ha Wayne...I have had paint that was not fuel proof and I ended up stripping it all of with laquer thinner. It just did not make sence to me to put any paint over the goopy soft paint that was going to be under the clear. I don't know if you can do that on your cowl or not but it was about the only way of ever getting a paint job that was going to last. One other thing you can do if you don't or can't get the old paint off is to use PPG automotive clear. Some of the other clear paints mentioned above like the poly urethanes will work but if you have a light color such as white as one of the colors be careful and to a test of the poly urethane over the white to see if it turns yellow . Some of the polys will turn a brownish yellow over light colors. Deft gloss clear water based poly ureathane will not turn yellow and dries real nice and is very fuel proof. It is sold in spray cans down here in Texas at Home Deposit...ooops I mean Depot
Old 01-27-2004, 07:17 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone tried calling Horizon Hobbies and telling them that they have a problem with their paint and they want their money returned and will forward the product back to them for evaluation. Reason is no company can really afford to have dissatisfied customers spreading the word that a product of theirs is not up to Hoyle.
Better to try and get to the root of the problem then just ranting about it, dosn't fix your problem,[:@]
Dennis
Old 01-27-2004, 08:13 PM
wrongwaywayne

Jeez Dennis - Don't shoot the messenger. I don't think anyone here is ranting. I already called my LHS where I bought it. He has never heard about any problems.

I just want a solution. I am not interested in contacting Hangar9's complaint dept. I don't need the frustration.

I think I will try the Deft stuff from Home Desperate. I mean Despot. I mean Depot. Its worth a try. Thanks Boss248
Old 01-27-2004, 08:39 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: wrongwaywayne
I already called my LHS where I bought it. He has never heard about any problems.
They always say, "Nobody ever complained before." My answer to that is, 'Now you can't say that any more."

I called Ace about the defective clutch in my Raptor 30. It was a well-documented problem with that heli and the guy told me he had never heard of it being a problem before. That's all well and good, but now take care of the problem because I must be the one unique person to have a problem with your product.

BTW, the only Hanger 9 product I've ever purchased is one of their fuel tanks and the cap fell off on the first flight and flooded my plane. When I pulled the tank out, I found that the cap can't really be tightened. Just when it starts to get snug, the cap pops loose. That and things I've read about other products by Hanger 9 lead me to believe they tend to market junk.

I would raise hell about that paint. Who the heck wants to strip paint off? What a pain that will be!
Old 01-28-2004, 02:53 AM
Boss248

I remember when the Evil Empire first released Luster Coat paint...it was very promptly recalled because it was not fuel proof but when it came out agin the problem was solved.
I think calling Horizon is a good idea because the product is not up to the standards needed by us modelers. I did not think anyone was ranting...Wayne was asking for a possible fix...plus being out $40.00 did not make him very happy.
It is obvious that factory where the H9 planes are made does not use the Ultra Coat paint supplied by H9...I don't know what they use but the colors are a pretty fair match and it is very fuel proof.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:28 AM
wrongwaywayne

I just talked to my LHS again. He says the only thing that really works is 2 part automotive clear coat on top. That stuff is nasty and only a body shop should be spraying it.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Boss248

He is correct to a point...PPG is a 2 part paint but when it is put in a syray can the catalyst is in the can and is only activated when it gets shaken up by the buyer. I think your best option is to remove the paint that is on the cowl with lacquer thinner...it will be messy as hell so get some nylon gloves and a roll of paper towells and get after it...it won't take very long once you get the paint softened up...if lacquer thinner won't cut it then some paint stripper will do it. As I see it you have 3 choices..a. Get a new cowl...b. remove the paint that is there..cover the paint that is there with some clear.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:20 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if lacquer thinner won't cut it then some paint stripper will do it
Or you could just use glow fuel.

I have no idea whether it's compatible or not, but have you tried Lustrecote clear? Not sure you should even try to topcoat that soft paint, but....

How long did you allow the Ultracote paint to dry? Some of these paints take a full two or three weeks to set up completely.
Dennis-
Old 01-28-2004, 04:16 PM
bhole74

Try "moneykote" next time?
Old 01-29-2004, 01:14 AM
wrongwaywayne

Can you buy the 2 part ppg clear coat in a can? What is the name place to buy, etc?

Other wise I might try covering the darned thing, but there are too many curves.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:33 AM
Boss248

Covering the cowl is a stupid idea...you may be able to get the Monokote on some of the cowl but it will never make it around the really tight stuff.

Here in Texas the PPG can be bought at NAPA auto parts stores that carry automotive paint. I am not sure about Canada