Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fuel Tank Size Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel Tank Size Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 08:31 PM
SpectrePilot
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Size Question

I am running an Enya .60 on a Ultimate Stick with an 11 oz tank. I run the tank dry in about 5 minutes and it doesn't seem long enough. Anyone have a rule of thumb for fuel tank size.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:54 PM
Azcat59

Default RE: Fuel Tank Size Question

Use 8-10 oz. tanks for 40-45 size engine, and 12-16 oz. for 60 size. There are variables involved too....we used to use 16 oz. on piped 60 engines in go-fast style pattern, and you had better be ready to land at about 9 minutes. On the other hand, a normal muffled 60 ought to go 12-15 minutes on 12 oz., depending upon prop size (rpm) and how rich you set it. It sounds to me like you are losing raw fuel somehow, too rich, or out the front bearing?

Make sure you are actually getting the tank full when you fuel it. Maybe the overflow vent is not close to the top of the tank. Maybe the klunk line is off, and you are only using the top half of the tank.....something is wrong with your set-up, I expect.

Clair
Old 02-08-2004, 07:52 AM
CafeenMan

Yep, either you're not filling the tank all the way, the tank isn't set up so that all the fuel gets used, or you're running full throttle on a toothpick size prop.

Pull the tank and make sure it's assembled properly. If it's wet inside the fuselage, then the tank is leaking.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:00 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SpectrePilot

I am running an Enya .60 on a Ultimate Stick with an 11 oz tank. I run the tank dry in about 5 minutes and it doesn't seem long enough. Anyone have a rule of thumb for fuel tank size.
I get 25 mins flight from an OS61FX with a 16oz tank. Seems like you only have several ounces of fuel in your tank. Check your tank setup first - is the vent line at the roof of the tank ? Is there any leak ? Use a syringe to fill the tank so that you know exactly how much fuel gets into the tank when it is "full". There could be engine issues, but I'll look at this first.