Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Flying Field Controversy

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flying Field Controversy

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 10:46 AM
bhole74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Field Controversy

I would like to ask for some opinions to a matter that has come up recently at our flying site. First of all, I would like to fill you in on some of the basic facts of the field in question:
1) The field is privately owned by a housing contractor which has "loaned" us the field for free providing we take care of it.
2) The owners receive no money for rent or lease nor do they use it themselves.
3) This is not an AMA field.
4) Most people who use it do not belong to AMA, (I do)
In the past, we have always given donations to the guy who mows the field, suddenly, he and another person have come up with the idea to charge everone $35 a year to use the field. Anyone who pays this fee can then charge others $5 a day to use it. This tends to run beginners off, which is something they are good at doing since they don't like younger people at "their" field. This also adds up to about $700/ year (appx 5 mos.) for the person mowing. The big issue with this is that others have had to mow it themselves because it has gone weeks at a time in the growing season without being mowed, then they get a butt chewing for doing it. The runway has gotten smaller each year, it started out at 175 yds. and is currently down to 125 yds. and the east /west strip was allowed to grow at will. Several of us have discussed it and believe certain parameters should be met, such as certain size of field, mowed once a week without fail, and AMA rules should be inforced. Some don't like this idea and think we should go elsewhere. I'm all for it but haven't had much luck so far finding another flying site. Several people, including myself, have also volunteered to mow for free, this suggestion was also turned down. Sounds to me like someone wants to pad their pocket. From what we have learned so far, there is no legal grounds to keep anyone off of this field whether they pay or not, it just causes a lot of arguments.. Comments or suggestions would be appreciated. A new location is a must, but that will take time.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flying Field Controversy

The guy that mows the field, does he have permission from the owner to charge people to use the field? That's the big question. The owner has a lot to say about what actually happens there. He's liable for any accidents that could accure on his property. I believe the field should be AMA as well for insurance and safety reason.
As for the mowing part ! I to think that he maybe using that as extra income. That you got to work out with everyone involved.
[&:]
Old 02-10-2004, 11:09 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What does the land owner say about a second party making money off of his land?

Unless you pay for a porapotty, mowing is a fields biggest expense.

How would the land owner like $5M of liability coverage for $20.00 a year? If he does loose the greedy guys, take the rest of the flyers, lease the field and record the lease with the county, and make it an ama field

Now figure out how you are going to mow your field!
Old 02-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Jerry Sigur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can form an AMA chartered club and go to the land owner
and get permission for only the club members to use the land.
It only takes three or four members to charter a club.
Most land owners prefer an organized club with insurance
coverage. (I know this will irk all non ama members)
Or you can probably look for another place to fly which
is probably your best choice.
Jerry
Old 02-10-2004, 11:36 AM
bhole74

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't think anyone at all has talked to the land owners reguarding this situation. Most feel like if a promblem such as this arises, we will all lose the field. The neighboring community is getting closer all the time and due to the fact a developer owns it, it is highly doubtful he would enter a lease agreement. I will talk with some of the others about contacting the owner.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:52 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would talk to the owner about the insurance and ask him to require it. Set up a club with bylaws, and set up a fair price for mowing. Is the equipt club owned or do the guys doing it bring it? You can set it up any way you want. You should insure to protect the owner though. He is hanging way out if someone gets hurt or killed on his property with no coverage. He should at least be made aware of that. What to charge for mowing has to be determined by the club. What ever you all feel is fair, but the mowing must be open to anyone at that price and a set scedule to do it, not just open to one guy when he wants. That would be a bad way to do it.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:23 PM
_WIT_

Hi bhole74,

I'm about 10 miles from you. I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who has his own field, and I go there. I think that flying with friends is what makes this hobby what it is, and probably wouldn't be flying now if I had to deal with the type of situation you describe. Do you remember Ed's Hobby Barn, just south of Neosho on 71? Ten or fifteen years ago, this was the best field in the area, and ol' Ed kept it looking like a golf green. Never charged anyone a dime to fly there, though all of us bought what we needed from him. Not many of his type left in these parts - or any parts, for that matter.

My guess is that if you discuss the problems at the field and liability/insurance issues with the landowner, the issue on mowing will become moot. But it would be the right thing to do. Good luck, whatever the outcome.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:00 PM
KW_Counter

I believe this is called extortion. If the guy who mows the lawn has no legal authority over it he cannot charge or control who uses it.
He has a right to charge for his services. I would find someone else to do the mowing if he is going to play these games.
And I wouldn't be polite about it either.

You are also correct in assuming your life there is limited, eventually the owner will develop it.
Contact the BLM or some other land controlling government agency about leasing some land.
Our lease is a renewable one for 20 yers. We are on our second 20.

KW_Counter
Old 02-11-2004, 05:52 PM
bhole74

Thanks for the input guys, now that I think about it, the state does own a lot of property in the area: will have to inquire. Extortion was the word I was looking for here but just couldn't put my finger on it, thanks!