Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Best Scroll Saw?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Best Scroll Saw?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Jimmbbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Scroll Saw?

Am adding a scroll saw to the work bench, and would like your recommendations about the strengths and weaknesses of saws you have used..

Am looking for 16 inch, variable speed, tilt table-

TIA!!

Jim
Old 03-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best Scroll Saw?

I bought one from Harbor Freight and it died a few weeks after i got it. They replaced it ok and it works ok but I can not recommend it.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:58 PM
jbeck

Check out some of the Dremel saws - I have an older, 2-speed model that is very reliable and cuts very well. A while ago the speed switch burnt out, and Dremel's customer service was fantastic.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:19 PM
Putz Brother

I use a Delta, have had it for about 5 years. Has worked real for me. It is good blades I have a hard time finding. The ones from home depot are not worth a hoot.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ryobi. Tilt table, takes two blade styles, variable speed, little vibration, blower, 16 in. Home Depot.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Aja

I've got a Tradesman 16" variable speed. Its great so far. Table tilts to 45*. Under $100 at Sears. Only problem is that the blower is a little weak. But, hey, that's what I'm for. Good luck.

Aaron
Old 03-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ryobi. Faultless.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:53 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Dremel model 1680 and love it.

16"
Variable 500 to 1600 SPM
Tilt table with light & dust blower.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:04 AM
Jimmbbo

Thanks to those who posted - appreciate your taking the time

Am leaning towards the the Delta SS350/40-570, mostly cuz it has 2 amp motor and low vibration.. Any folks with experience with this one?

TIA

Jim
Old 03-05-2004, 05:36 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

I am not very demanding, and my Sears Craftsman scroll saw serves me well enough. I actually use my little bench top band saw MUCH more than the scroll saw. The Craftsman scroll saw is not heavy, so fasten it down securely to a solid bench and it is very stable and more than enough power for our hobby work. SUPER CRITICAL is the blades you will use on ANY saw. Cheap blades are punched out with teeth that actually want to cut a kerf that veers to one side. It'll drive you nuts trying to keep a true line. Buy only the highest quality, expensive blades, probably only found at a supplier that caters to extremely discerning wood crafters. "The bitterness of poor quality far outlasts the sweetness of the cheap price." Good luck.
Jim
Old 03-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a scroll saw more than power tool except a drill. I had a Dremel that I got for Christmas in 1971. A couple of years ago I finally bought a newer Sears model that has a blower to clear the sawdust from the part you are cutting. I gave the Dremel to a buddy and he is still using it, so I have no complaints about the longetity of Dremel products.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Talon

Jim,

I was drawn to this thread with the hopes of recommending the scroll saw I purchased 4 months ago. It's a Delta SS350. Works great! The quick release on both sides of the blade is key, which makes changing blades or inside cuts easy. It uses plain ended blades and there seem to be more of these available than the pinned ones. (if you only find pinned blades you can still use them by clipping the ends off) The motor is definitely strong enough. Blower works good. Very low vibration and variable speed dial is a working plus. I like that it's heavy for the firm feel. It's my first scroll saw so I'm certainly no expert, but I've had the misfortune of using flimsy power tools and this isn't one. It's probably a step or two beyond what's necessary for modeling purposes, but in my opinion that makes it perfect!

I bought this on impulse when "Woodworker's Warehouse" had the going out of business sale. A floor model for $100. I got a great deal. I'd pay double and consider it worthwhile.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Putz Brother

ORIGINAL: Jimmbbo

Thanks to those who posted - appreciate your taking the time

Am leaning towards the the Delta SS350/40-570, mostly cuz it has 2 amp motor and low vibration.. Any folks with experience with this one?

TIA

Jim
Jim, Yes I have the same saw. It was my first experience with a scroll saw, so I did'nt know what to expect. My friends that have used it that have experience with other saws thought it cut truer than most they had used. I echoe Capt Jim's thoughts on the blades. It can be very frustrating when your trying to cut a straight and true line only to have the blade twisting and messing up a $3.00 piece of aircraft ply. Buy the better blades at a place that caters to wood working group. I get mine from Woodworkers supply. Once you have used a scroll saw you won't know how you lived without one. good Luck, Randy
Old 03-07-2004, 02:16 PM
phread59

I would say that the Dremel units I have seen are real nice. You can use pinned or unpinned blades. As for a nice one at a cheap price try Grizzly. They sell a variable speed unit for less than 90$. It uses pinned only though.

Mark Shuman
Old 03-07-2004, 08:03 PM
flipstart

One more vote for the Delta 16" variable speed, uses straight blades, low vibration, lots of power, mine is 10 years old and it does the job, price has come down since I bought mine. It is a heavy saw which cuts down on vibration. Flipstart
Old 03-07-2004, 11:36 PM
Jimmbbo

In searching for the Delta SS350/40-570, I have encountered a lot of "item discontinued" notations on websites... Does anyone know if Delta is discontinuing this saw, or if the retailer just doesn't choose to carry it any more?

TIA

Jim