Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

PBF elevator

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 07:54 PM
AngloSaxon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PBF elevator

Greetings

I have been interesting in PBF's for some time now, but only recently friend of my gave me cardboard material for the plane. I've done some research, but none of the sites I visited explain the proper installation & configuration of servos and pushrods to elevator. I am using Futaba 4ch radio. Please Help. [&o]

Any responses greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: PBF elevator

Search for [spadtothebone] and you should find everything you need to know. I attached the servos, laying on their side, with double sided tape. Punch a hole through the coroplast and tie the servo on with nylon tie straps. I use bamboo skewers for pushrods with wire ends bound on with thread and CA.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:58 PM
AngloSaxon

Thanks for the hint FlyPaper 2

One more qestion, some people use elevator with 2 servos for ailerons and some just use it as normal one servo elevator. Which is better for beginner?

Thank you
Old 03-07-2004, 10:49 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's the site that has the plans. The originals I believe. Bookmark it, and you can even print it out. It makes out to be somewhat of a manual. I printed it out at work, and made about 10 copies and handed them out to friends.

Also...FYI... Sign shops are a great source to get the coroplast. They usually always have some blemished, or wasted pieces they might gladly give away for a good cause of our hobby.

http://mypage.yhti.net/~dmcdnld/pizza%20plans%20mk2.jpg

This will give you everything you need. I built one last summer, and it is a riot, and the most fun least expensive plane I own.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anglosaxon:
4 channel has no mixing for elevons where two servos act as elevators and ailerons at the same time, but there are a number of ways to get around it. one is to break the tail up into three sections. The two outers for ailerons and the centre for elevator. Would take three servos. Not the best but would work. Second is a mechanical mixer where the aileron servo slides back and forth on rails, pushed and pulled by the elevator servo. best is an electronic mixer that goes between the servos and rcvr. I forget who makes it. Maybe someone who knows can chime in? Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:27 PM
AngloSaxon

Thank you for the hints guys, the plans really helped.
I guess i better start measuring and cutting.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:26 PM
FHHuber
Banned

There is also a Du-Bro mixer that mounts on top of the aileron servo and the elevator servo acts on a bal link in the center. It works well for models under .40 size. (great for the PBF.)

If you want to hover it... you want the mix. Its virtually impossible to maintain roll control n hover with the wide center elevator and outboard ailerns. No airflow over the ailerons in hover. Adding rudder cn get around this as it has a huge ADVERSE roll coupling with rudder. (you gve right rudder... it rolls left. The rudder is high above CG and there is no span or dihedral to minimize the effect.)