Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Inverted Circular Saw as a Table Saw?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Inverted Circular Saw as a Table Saw?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 12:02 PM
SeanT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inverted Circular Saw as a Table Saw?

I cannot justify the cost for any of the Mini-Table Saws (Microlux, Penta, etc.). What do you all think of mounting one of the cordless 6 1/2" circular saws on the underside of table? You get 45 deg. of tilt, adjustable depth and variable speed at around $100. Just need to rig up a way to activate the saw with a variable transformer or something.

Is this a stupid idea or something worth further investigation?

Sean
Old 03-24-2004, 12:12 PM
vanman
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Inverted Circular Saw as a Table Saw?

They work very well. Actually the company I worked for a few years ago did this as a permanent means for cutting lexan. When the saw finally burned up, simply un-hook and replace (usually under warranty..) If you needed to use it as a free standing circular saw, unhook and use and then replace.

Works great, run with the idea......
Old 03-24-2004, 01:00 PM
bbmass
My Feedback: (2)

I have a full size carpentar table saw, yes they are expensive, but it is one tool I use almost every weekend. I even cut balsa with it. What you are missing by mounting the circular saw is precision. I figure the table saw will last a lifetime, so to me it is worth the investment. I saw a good quality, Delta, band saw at toolking.com, if they have refurbished in stock it will be under $100. This might be an interesting alternative.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:35 PM
CrashBurn69
My Feedback: (1)

I cant remember who makes it, but there is a company that makes a particle board top, on a set of metal saw horses. It uses metal straps to hold the skill saw in place, and its groved on the side and has a rip fence and all you do is use the tilt in the saw. They also put a plug box with a switch to turn the saw on and off. If memory serves it was only like $50.00 for the table. Your idea would work, but I think using an AC saw would work better, except when out in the field where no power is available.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:22 PM
bbbair

For me it would be a safety thing;
The table saw comes with such items as a fence, guard, adjustable height (depth of cut) switches and a stable work surface etc.
Even so a Table Saw can be a dangerous tool if not used properly, so I would recommend buying the proper tool the first time and stacking the odds in your favour.

The extra money that you spend will hurt in the short term but I think that the added benefits outweigh the initial cost.
IMHO
Old 03-24-2004, 03:59 PM
SDR-Hammer

I actually have a commercially made metal table, which was my grandfathers, that uses an inverted 7¼ “ circular saw. Haven’t used it in years but when I did it worked well, far from a high quality job but it served a purpose.

Not the safest idea but definitely not stupid.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:47 PM
JimRoss

Go to Lowes and look there. I saw a table top table saw, 10" for under $80.00.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:46 PM
phread59

I agree the upside down saw scres me a bit. A good table saw with a thin kerf blade. Or Grizzly sells a 14" band saw for 375$. It is a nice saw. It has a rip fence, so ripping wood would be easy. You would also get a band saw to use. Also the blades are thinner than circular sa blades. Less waste when cutting. Good luck whichever way you decide.

Mark Shuman
Old 03-24-2004, 11:20 PM
birdnest

I'm not sure how useful a minature table saw would be for average r/c airplane construction, anyway. And by the time you buy a circular saw and all the stuff you'll need to mount it upside down you might be able to get a small table saw. Personally, I have a small (9") sears table saw. I made a jig for it, a piece of 2'X2' plywood with runners on the bottom that ride in the grooves for the miter gauge. It's good for cutting most smallish parts, and quite precise with a hollow ground plywood blade. For lack of a better description, it feels safe. Still, I never use it if I am tired. I plan on keeping all 10 fingers for a long time.

Peter

I put a picture of it here somewhere!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67892.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	115226  
Old 03-25-2004, 12:04 AM
Stick Jammer

SeanT,
I have two words for this idea, Kick-Back! Get a table saw and be safe.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:56 PM
JimRoss

Again I say, go to Lowes and look at their tools. Bet you'll find one that will fit your budget. The small table top saw I mentioned is still there for sale.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:32 AM
SeanT

Thanks for all the posts. I guess I will either look at the 10" models at the home centers or go without it.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:23 PM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

I did that for awhile. I mounted my circular saw on a saw horse and used it as a table saw. I didn't have the funds for a real table saw so I had to make do. Be careful of course, but it is doable . I have a 10" table saw now and it is very nice [8D].
Old 03-26-2004, 08:49 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also saw a post a while ago where someone made a small table saw out of one of the small Tile Cutting type saws. I believe this was done primarily to save space .... since the cost of the tile saw is about the same as a small table saw. Bob
Old 03-27-2004, 12:26 AM
linclogs

Definitely doable.

There are comercially made tables just for this purpose - just like the tables you mount a router to the underside to use as a shaper. Works on the same principal - an inexpensive way to expand your tool options when you're on a low budget. If you can afford to have every tool out there (and have the shopspace to set them all up) go for the big bucks. If it's something you'll only use sporadically, this MIGHT be a viable option. Be careful with ANY tool - even the expensive ones.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:19 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of those setups where I mounted a circular saw under it. I used it for years and it worked fine, but I now have an inexpensive bench/table saw and it is better. Originally it made sense because there were no cheap alternatives. Now there are. The circular saw setup will cost just as much as a basic bench/table saw. Go that route.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:52 PM
jessiej

Inexpensive table saw - $100

Fingers - Priceless

jess
Old 04-24-2021, 02:21 AM
jackkie12

Default Saw Offers

You may have to add a genuine piece of wood to the edge, where the fence rides, contingent upon the timber you began with and the last state of the table. I got going without placing an excess of thought into the direction of the table, so I wound up with a harsh edge,
I tracked down a level piece of wood of the proper thickness, a touch of pressed wood, and some paste. After it was immovably stuck into place, I understood that the edge was a decent straight board yet the edges were not equal. I had the option to address it later in light of the fact that the fence needs just be consistent with the edge, not the finish of the table.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:07 AM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Another source for a table saw.... Craigslist I see just about everyday there are table saws advertised. I would think if your not is a hurry
you may pick and choose and still have a good saw at a good price. Many times, even though there not the "top end" saw, is the Craftsman's 10" table saw.
Multiple times I've seen these units go for 50,75, 100 dollars. The reason I mention this, is that I have a 10" Craftsman i purchased in 1978 still going strong.
I might mention that I've upgraded the fence several years ago and trued the blade (this happens with many saws) along with replacing a motor 10 years ago.
So, fortunately for you there are options out there, its just where you want to go with it.

Mike
Old 04-26-2021, 08:53 AM
PopeyeCharlotte

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As an alternate to a table saw, I use clamp-on guide with a circular saw. The precision of a table saw without the table saw.

I use an 8' piece of reasonably straight plywood or a very straight 4' straightedge. I clamp it to the wood, either 5" or 1.5" from the edge of the cut (depending on which side of the saw), and rip away. For long cuts, I find it faster to clamp the straightedge and cut quickly, vs cutting slowly to follow the line (inevitable covered with sawdust). If I cut a full 8' sheet of plywood, I'll put one or two screws in the middle to keep the guide in place.

I will not deny that I would rather have a table saw AND a circular saw! But necessity is the mother of invention - and I have neither money nor space for a table saw.