Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Microballoons?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Spaceclam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microballoons?

I heard the term somewhere. What are they, what do they do, and where can i get some? They sound interresting...
Old 04-05-2004, 12:10 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Microballoons?

Yes, Micro ballons are for teh parties, were aonly a few of eh many guests show up!

No, Micro ballons are little baloons, about teh size of sand grains. They are used in epoxy for a few reasons, mainly to to thicken it up (so it dosen't run, can be used as a 'spakle') And the idea is that they take the space of epoxy, so you essencially save some weight / epoxy. Also allows for easier sanding, than jsut epoxy..
Old 04-05-2004, 01:21 PM
barto

No, Micro ballons are little baloons, about teh size of sand grains. [/quote]

Thats not correct, microballoons are actually little pieces of glass, very small though, it feel like sand and it looks to be pretty liquid. It is used to thicken epoxy, it doesnt take much strength out of it, its easier to sand than epoxy and it's used to fill seams etc.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Kaos Rulz

I pay an extra $2.30 and get the microballons filled with helium. Makes for a very light plane.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:43 PM
CafeenMan

Micro balloons are hollow glass spheres used to make a sandable putty. They look like baking soda.

Often they are used to make parts such as gun fairings, etc. A lot of people use them to make wing fillets.

I use them to make a wing saddle that fits the wing perfectly.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:56 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use baking powder.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Spaceclam

where can you buy the stuff?
Old 04-05-2004, 09:35 PM
GeraldO

There are two kinds of microballoons, the ones made of glass, and a kind made from phenolic plastic. I prefer the phenolic type for a few reasons. The phenolic type is lighter weight, I think they sand more easily, and they are less hazardous to your lungs when sanded. Sanding the glass type creates glass dust which is harmful to breath.

You can tell the phenolic type easily by their reddish brown color, as opposed to white for the glass.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:26 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Spaceclam

where can you buy the stuff?
Why, at the small party store, of course!

Microballons are available at most hobby shops or online sources like Tower. The come in a "cottage cheese" type package... at least most of the time.

I like CaffenMan's description. When you go to mix them, if you have polyester resin, use that, it's easier to sand than epoxy or epoxy resin. I prefer to think of the resin as holding the microballons, rather than the other way around. Mix in microballons into a SMAll amount of resin until it is the consistancy of tooth paste. Don't try to use the mix where strength is required, it makes great fillets, etc. If you need strength, like fillets on a firewall, mix chopped fiberglass with the resin instead of mircoballons.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use both the phenolic (brown) and the glass (white) and both work very well. I use epoxy--hate the smell of the other stuff--and thouroughly mix the epoxy first then start adding the microballoons. Make a paste that is about like peanut butter in stiffness then it won't run when you apply it. I can't tell the difference in sanding, both sand quite easily. Both are available from Tower Hobbies and in most hobby shops.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:34 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
I prefer the phenolic micro balloons (brown) as they sand much more easily than white glass balloons.
polyester resin and brown microballoons are much easier to sand than using epoxy.... and most important you easily see where you have sanded because the brown microballoon surface will turn light brown were you have sanded!
beware that you should not use ordinary epoxyglue with microballoons...this could ofcourse be done but the mix will not be as hard as with 24 hour mold epoxy.It is far better to use 24 hour mold epoxy for this. Superior strenght and rock hard surface.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 04-09-2004, 06:15 AM
SST

The filler that West Marine sells is cheaper than the hobby store stuff.