Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

repairing silk/dope

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

repairing silk/dope

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 09:35 AM
bbmass
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repairing silk/dope

I was showing off my silk and dope job and the club meeting last night and someone asked me how you repair it. I have no idea, so once you've painted it and you get a hole in the covering what is the best repair method? thanks
Old 04-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: repairing silk/dope

I was going to give you an authoritative answer, but I can't remember ever getting a hole in a silked structure. (I've demolised a few beyond repair, however.) If it is just a tear, I think I would use thick dope to get the edges back together. That works for tissue or silkspan. If it was a big hole, I think I would cut out the whole panel and recover and redope.

Jim
Old 04-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: repairing silk/dope

Have punched a few holes like that. As Jim says, cut it to the ribs on either side and from spar to trailing edge. Cut a piece of silk 1/2 in. bigger all around. Dampen with water and butyrate it down, stretching it as much as possible. When the water evaporates it will shrink it tight, then finish with more dope to suit.