Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Balance your blades??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Always, I even balance them before every flight
4.44%
The first time I use them everytime
53.33%
Sometimes if I have the time and balancer
11.11%
Not too often
8.89%
Never
22.22%
Only on 4 stroke engines
0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Balance your blades??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 11:00 AM
Lefte
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance your blades??

How many of you actually balance your props?

Lefty
[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-05-2004, 12:01 PM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Balance your blades??

Hi,

I always balance my props before I use them. I hate doing it so I usually purchase a bunch of them and balance them all at once for flying season "stock". That way when I fly I can just "grab and go". I usually do this during the off season or even on vacation as "therapy".

Steve
Old 05-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll generally NOT balance a prop.
I'll take the mold flash off the leading edge, but that's about it.
Large electric 16-24 inch props can probably be usefully balanced, but I don't use anything that large.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:02 PM
FHHuber
Banned

90-95% of the time before I put the prop in my flight box I ballance it.

Occasionally, when I'm short props, I'll buy one and end up using it before its checked... but I make sure its an APC, as they almost never need any ballance correction. (the only props I have seen that are consistant about that...)
Old 05-05-2004, 05:09 PM
bojangle

I increase and balance my prop inventory during the off season. Props are then date marked with waterproof marker. Older props are used up first. Final test is on the engine, if no vibration then I assume it's ok. At the end of a flying session, I check for nicks or dings and rebalance if noticed.

I have seen the damage an out of balance prop can do, it's worth a little time to at least check them.

BO
Old 05-05-2004, 10:38 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I balance all props now. I had a 3 bladed prop so far out of balance that I landed with only one engine bolt a few weeks ago.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:38 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I never balance props. I scrape off the flashing, re-drill the hole (if needed) and go flying.

I've never seen a prop that was so badly out of balance that it made a difference.

In fact, there was an article recently in the AMA mag stating just how OVERstated prop balancing is.

But then, some guys wax their car every weekend. I don't do that either. So the choice is yours.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:47 AM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Minnflyer, just cause it was in Model Aviation don't make it true!
You have been lucky if you haven't had props that were out of balance. I just purchased several Pro-Zinger (14x4) props that were so out of balance I had to coat the entire face of one blade with epoxy to get them to balance. That much difference in blade weight is unacceptable and certainly would have multiple negative effects if run that way. I will agree a slight difference and not a "perfectly true balance" is not a major concern, but you would be surprised how bad some are. In my experience the wood props are usually the ones that are way out of balance. Composite props, in my experience are generally close.
It sounds like you favor composite props.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:42 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pretty much had no choice about balancing my props. I had a landing gear snap off on touchdown due to vibration causing the nylon bolts to loosen in flight. I started checking them every flight. They would begin to loosen every second flight. Then, I landed one evening and found the 2 bottom engine bolts gone, one backed out but trapped by the engine backplate, and only one bolt securely in the mount. I had to knock out 2 stripped blindnuts and replace them. The 3 bladed prop was severely out of balance. I gave up sanding and took the Dremel to it. I also reshaped the ends as best I could. It is balanced now and the plane feels smoother at full throttle (with me holding it), and it seems to fly with less noise (buzz?). I'm still checking engine and landing gear bolts after every flight, but they are staying tight now.

I checked my spare props and they both were way out of balance. I added Rustoleum paint to them for balancing. By the way, these are Evo props.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:54 AM
air mail rcu

Always balance a new prop. Mostly use APCs seem to be the most balanced. If you don't balance you might not have a problem right away but sooner or later you will. Spinners too.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I check them when new and after any signs of wear.
Usually they are OK new but after a while, I have to add some paint to correct the balance.