Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

New engine buying/old engine tuning advice

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

New engine buying/old engine tuning advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine buying/old engine tuning advice

I have a Kaos 40 with a tower hobbies .40 with a 10X6 prop. I'm not really impressed by the performance of the TH .40. The engine does not run right. It runs reliably- idles very well, good throttle transition, never causes a deadstick (as long as there's gas in the tank), but it seems to lack power. The only way I can get it to run is to have the airbleed/lowspeed valve turned out only about a half a turn and the high speed valve turned out about 6 1/2 turns. From my experience, this can't be right. The engine sounds rich at wot, but if I turn the highspeed valve in, instead of the engine gaining rpm's, it just starts sputtering and dies. If I turn the lowspeed valve out, the engine seems to stall as soon as I get in the air. I have replaced all the fuel lines and given the carb a thorough cleaning. I'm considering getting a new engine. I'm looking for something in the .46 range. I was going to get a Tower Hobbies .46, but I've heard mixed feelings about this engine. So, here's the question. Does anyone have advice on my current engine? And, what is a good .46? I'm a poor college kid so I'd like to spend less than 100 bucks. What's the feelings on the Thunder Tiger? I'm also considering the OS.46la or maybe the AX, but that's alittle more than I want to spend.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:11 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: New engine buying/old engine tuning advice

There have been mixed feelings about every engine made and you will hear more of the bad then good. With that said, I have been having good luck with my Magnum .46 and the .52. I have also had good luck with GMS. The .52 is on sale for $79.99 and the .46 is $69.99. If you send GMS (Mecoa) a broken engine they will take off $20.00 from thier price for the .47.

I have not run a TT so I can't say. I have read from people that it is the only engine they will ever buy again and I have read that TT is pure junk so the truth is some where in the middle.

I have not worked on the carb for the TH .40 so I am not sure of your settings but they seem way out of wack. Try setting the low end by putting the carb in an idle setting, put a clean (new) piece of fuel tubbing on the fuel nipple, blow through the tubbing and turn the idle screw in until the air just stops. Open the needle just enough to let a little air pass. This is for a carb with two needle and not an air bleed carb. The top end should be around 2 - 2 1/2 turns open to start with.

Dru.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TT PRO is a good engine. I have one and have it to be very user friendly. It is easy to tune, has a reliable idle and ran right out of the box. The power is good - a shade less than my OS 46 FX, but I don't think you will really notice the difference.

The OS 46 FX is also an excellent, user friendly, runs right out of the box engine. IMHO, I would avoid the LA series like the plague. They have substantially less power than the FX series. I have not seen the AX yet, but from the reports on it, is right there with the FX. Various reports have also indicated the GMS 47 and 76 have excellent power and are reasonably user friendly.

For the money, I would go with the Thunder Tiger Pro 46 or the GMS. If you have some extra $$$ go with the OS FX/AX.

I am surprised about the TH 40. The main problem the TH engines usually have is with idle and shutdown (air leaks). It sounds like you are not getting enough fuel. You could always send it back under the warranty and see if they can find the problem (TH will most likely just send you another engine though)

The TH 46 I had had plenty of power and a fair idle. It just would not shut down. Move the transmitter to kill it and the engine would keep running. After sealing every place I could think of it would still take 30 - 45 seconds to shut down. I can not recommend the Tower engines for an inexperienced person - they require too much tinkering to run properly.

Hope this is of some help.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:07 PM
bbbair

I have had good experiances with everything from Webras to OS, and conversely I have had problems with everything including OS, Webra, Thunder Tiger etc. The key is to learn how to tune them or find a mechanic that knows how to set them up for you. Any engine can be made to run well if you are willing to put the time and patience into it.

As to your current engine, I have to agree with Campy; I'd send it back under warrenty and hope for something better from the factory. No one should have to tune it as much as you have ... but then again ... it is always possible that you are the type of fellow that is always tweeking trying to get "another 100 rpm".

Sorry; but I have set up the same engine 3 weeks in a row just to watch the owner start tweeking after the next flight and foul it all up again ...

Some engines will never turn over 18,000 rpm, you have to be content with 13,500 - no matter what the advertising says.

For my money; a good GENERAL PURPOSE engine is a Thunder Tiger GP 42. Runs well at 13,500 rpm, no maintenance in the past 5 years, keep your oil content up and be happy with the mid range rpm and it will do you no wrongs.

Bruce
Old 05-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Thats pretty much what I expected to hear. I haven't decided which engine to buy, but I am going to buy one. Even if I could get my TH.40 running right, I would still like a little more power. Thanks for the input,
Nick