Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

question about painting!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

question about painting!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 11:17 PM
l8rh8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about painting!

Hey everyone.. I've been flying for a few years but I have always bought ARF kits because I dont have a lot of time to build..
I have a Global p47 arf that is covered with ultracote. Now what I want to do is change the color scheme around a bit.. I dont
care much for the grey with red tail.. I'd rather have the bottom grey and top dark green.. Is it possible to just paint over the ultracote?
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've never done this before.. If its possible what type of paint would I need? Please let me know, as it would make my plane look a whole lot better!
Thanks,
Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67881.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	137954  
Old 05-31-2004, 12:20 AM
campbec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: question about painting!

You can buy paint from ultracoat and monocoat and many other maufacturers that match their film products and that you can paint directly on to the covering. I'm sure many other brands would work as well but you would need to test on some scrap.

Before painting wipe the film surface with steel wool dampened with acetone to remove any grease and oil from the surface left by handling etc then finish with a tac rag.

Good Luck,

Colin
Old 05-31-2004, 07:50 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In order to paint on a film type covering you will need to do the following:

1. Scuff the surface to remove the gloss. Scotchbite brand green "scrubbies" work great for this. All you want to do is remove the gloss and give the paint something to bite into. Be carefull around the ribs and other "hard" areas that you do not go through the film.

2. Wipe the surface with some alcohol and a CLEAN soft cloth. Acetone will also work, but the fumes are something else.

3. PRIME THE AREA TO BE PAINTED.

4. Paint.

There was an article in MAN or RCM a little while ago that gave exact directions on painting monokote. The person painted a Fokker VII ARF.

Hope this helps
Old 06-01-2004, 06:26 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make certain that the covering is EXTREMELY clean. Clean it several times, then clean it again. If you don't have a spray gun, look at the paints supplied my Top Flite and UltraCote in spray cans. You can also use Rustoleum, but it takes a LONG time to dry. Another fuel proof paint is urethane. Use a respirator with any of them.

If you have a paint gun and compressor, take a look at Nelsonhobby.com/newsite and go to the main listings. Check out the water based paints he markets. They work well, are non-toxic, and clean up/reduce with tap water. Adhere pretty well, also.

Make sure you scuff the covering with 00 steel wool, or a Scotchbrite cleaning pad. More is better than less.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:38 PM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paint all the time on ultracoat....i use color from the auto store...this paint is made for cars but they have a wide color spectrem,,,and it will last for years...i also use auto paint from auto body shops..cant use anything that gets hot...enamal works best...use lacquer thinner so it wont burn the covering......this plane covered in ultracoat ,,purple pieces iron'd on...and the black gloss enamel shot over use'n airbrush...nitro wont touch it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69960.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	138649