Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

crystal set question...

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

crystal set question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Mitty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crystal set question...

Hello folks.
I bought a set of crystals on ebay.
One of them marked TX another RX.Is there a difference between them? The simplest thing,i know,would be to try to swap them but i dont wanna take chances to fry something up since i have no idea 'how stuff works'

Please advice if i can use TX crystal in receiver .Then i will have enough crystals for two sets.
Thanks ahead.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:56 PM
rctrax

Default RE: crystal set question...

no
Old 06-02-2004, 08:58 PM
TNRabbit

Tx is for transmitter and Rx is for Receiver. What brand are they and what brand radio did you want to use them in? If I'm not mistaken, you are supposed to send your Transmitter in to have them swapped out; something about fine tuning required for a swap....
Old 06-03-2004, 04:29 AM
Mitty

Both crystals on channel 22.Its dual conversion futaba radio and dual conversion futaba receiver low-band.The whole idea of buying a crystal set was to get a second airplane working the same channel as my first one.Then i wouldn't have to take out and swap receiver everytime i decide to fly a different planes or carry 2 tx with me.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:00 AM
The Ghost

Mitty,
The crsytals should also be matched for the brand of radio. Also never by second hand crystals as you just dont know there condition. Could be damaged and only show up in the air!

Cheers.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:27 AM
Ed Smith

You bought crystals on E-Bay??

I wish I had your faith

Ed S
Old 06-03-2004, 08:41 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can not legally change a crystal in a transmitter (FCC law), but the receiver crystal is fine to change. You CAN also throw the Tx off frequency by changing the crystal.

It is not illegal in other parts of the world, so Tx crystals ARE accessible.

We all buy crystals for our receivers in order to keep planes on the same channel.
Dennis-
Old 06-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Mitty

So can i use a TRANSMITTER crystal in Receiver?

To Ed Smith....Yeah i buy most of my stuff off ebay and i build and fly spads because 4 people eat off my paycheck and there's not a whole lot $$ left afterwards(not that there is a whole bunch in a first place lol)It has nothing to do with faith though.I bought my radio off ebay.Bought a few engines.Bought some other stuff.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Tall Paul

ORIGINAL: Mitty

So can i use a TRANSMITTER crystal in Receiver?
NO!
It won't work!
Old 06-04-2004, 03:25 AM
The Ghost

Mitty,
The TX crystal is for transmitter ONLY!, the RX crystal is for the reciver ONLY! You can by a RX crystal for a new reciver so all your recivers are on the same channel as your transmitter.

Cheers.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Hootcher

Isn't there a certain number of digits that you are to remain above or below the actual number given on the receiver from Futaba if you can not match the original crystal number exactly.
For example you purchase a Flight Pack with no crystal, but it was on channel RX23.
What crystal # can you use in it. Let's say a #RX38?
I emailed Futaba and of coarse they say because of FCC and safety reasons they can not recommend changing the crystals even in the receiver w/o sending it in for re-calibration or checking of the Tuning.
I am just looking for second opinions.

Thanks
Hootcher
Old 06-08-2004, 06:57 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Futaba makes receivers in Low band (channels 11 to 35) and High band( 36 through 60). As long as you stay with Low or High band you shouldn't have any trouble. But the closer you stay to the original channel, the better off you are.
Dennis-
Old 06-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Hootcher

Dennis:
Thanks for confirming what I have beleived for some time. I was sure that it should have been safe to use a #38 in a #23 receiver. We are trying to eliminate all possibilities related to our recent crash.
We lost all controls at once. We did another range check after recovering the plane, yes the elevator was still working fine and the batts were at full charge.
This was the second flight on a new LT40 with a 61. Our concern is that this is the 4th plane that has had the same or similar loss of signal in the same general area of where we fly, yet not everyone has had problems. We fly at our local airport and the area that this seems to happen is just past a grove of trees and the edge of a farm field. There are no power lines in the area either.
There is a signal tower (radio dispatch?) but it is located at the oppisite end and off to our right. The DEAD ZONE is almost straight across from the center of our runway maybe 2 blocks away.
With out some kind of signal tester we are at our witts end and afraid we will have to choose another field to fly at.
Thanks Again for you advice and lending an Ear

Hootcher
Old 06-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Hootcher

Dennis:
Thanks for confirming what I have beleived for some time. I was sure that it should have been safe to use a #38 in a #23 receiver. We are trying to eliminate all possibilities related to our recent crash.
We lost all controls at once. We did another range check after recovering the plane, yes the elevator was still working fine and the batts were at full charge.
This was the second flight on a new LT40 with a 61. Our concern is that this is the 4th plane that has had the same or similar loss of signal in the same general area of where we fly, yet not everyone has had problems. We fly at our local airport and the area that this seems to happen is just past a grove of trees and the edge of a farm field. There are no power lines in the area either.
There is a signal tower (radio dispatch?) but it is located at the oppisite end and off to our right. The DEAD ZONE is almost straight across from the center of our runway maybe 2 blocks away.
With out some kind of signal tester we are at our witts end and afraid we will have to choose another field to fly at.

Hootcher
Old 06-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Hootcher

Dennis: I was wrong the receiver is channel 33 not 23.
Hootcher
Old 06-23-2004, 10:19 AM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi mitty

you cannot legally change the crystal in your transmitter, on most the rf unit is sealed and this seal should never be broken by the user. only by a service facility. the receiver crystals however can be changed, some units have freq range requirements.

hitec receivers can be changed across full range of channels, futaba has hi and lo units which I think change at channel 35. below 35 is lo and above 35 is hi. best bet is hitec, I am using these and very happy with them and service if needed is superb. and they are futaba compatible.

happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 06-23-2004, 10:34 AM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Hootcher

Dennis:

Hootcher
If you are not aware of it, each AMA district has a Frequency Co-ordinator. Each FC has frequency scanners which they will loan to a club. Check with him/her http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...C0400181B30422
Old 06-23-2004, 02:41 PM
kdheath

Do a little looking, too, for pager towers or industrial users. We share frequencies with those guys and they have a lot more transmitted power. Get with your AMA region VP and try the scanner. It could be that you have a frequency or two that shouldn't be used at your field. It's not too unusual.