Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

monokoteing over glassed strip in center of wing.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

monokoteing over glassed strip in center of wing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 11:32 PM
h-ray-RCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monokoteing over glassed strip in center of wing.

Hey gang,

Finishing the 4*40 and covering the wing. There's that 3/4" strip of ca'd glass to reinforce the wing over the center joint. Any suggestions for getting the monokote to stick to it? I forgot how I did it back when. (probably just epoxied it )

Thanks
Old 06-04-2004, 12:17 AM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: monokoteing over glassed strip in center of wing.

The first side that you are covering does not need to stick very well to the center section, when you cover the other side just overlap it about 1/8" or 3/16" to the other side and you will have monokote to monokote and it should stay there.

At least this is what I have done on mine and did not have any problems, I had used epoxy for the fiberglass cloth.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:43 AM
h-ray-RCA

Thanks, I decided to take a leap and use a heat gun and a glove, worked slowly and carefully and was able to get it to stick. For tonight. Who knows what will happen when it gets out there.

Take care,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91486.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	139368  
Old 06-04-2004, 08:52 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ray, For future refrence. to make monokote stick to things it does not like to I put a coat of balsa rite on the part. In your case one coat of balsa rite in the center section glass and the area most likly to get dirrect oil blast from the muffler. This would fuel proof those areas and make the monokote stick to the glass very nicely.

Good luck

Joe Felice
Old 06-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Azcat59

Rub in some SigMent modeling glue (in the tube) on the glass cloth, and then when dry, iron on your covering. You will tear the covering before it will come loose....somehow the adhesive in the Monokote bonds with the dry Sigment. I also do this around firewalls, wheel wells, wing saddles, or any other places where the covering may tend to lift up.

Clair
Old 12-28-2004, 01:23 AM
Daryl_y

Be careful if you have used Bondo or Spot n' Glaze too smooth out the glass or too blend it to the wing covering sticks poorly over this surface and if you try too cook it down with your iron you run the risk of melting the putty underneath