Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Modification ?-Which Is The Lesser Evil

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Modification ?-Which Is The Lesser Evil

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Golfer6464

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modification ?-Which Is The Lesser Evil

I'm in the process of assembling my first plane and ran into a problem with the tail section, specifically the horizontal stabalizer. The factory must have had a bad day with the jig when it was made because the pre-drilled holes, looks to be about 3/32" diameter, are a solid 1/8" off. My two options that I can come up with on my own are redrilling the holes through balsa with the edges of the two holes if not meeting coming very close to each other. Drilling holes this close together in most other type of woods this thin would normally be a disaster, but I'm figuring that the lack of density of balsa might allow someone to get away with this. Then perhaps fill in the hole that isn't used with an epoxy or something of that nature. My second option, and the one I dread if I can't do the first, is to file down the plywood recess taking away a good half of what is there to have the stabalizer settle in to the body.

I appreciate any opinions that experienced crafters may have in helping me out here, especially if there's something that I can do that I haven't come up with.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Modification ?-Which Is The Lesser Evil

Fill in the bad holes with 1/8" square balsa.. force it in the hole..CA will do.
Then sand flush.
Then position the new holes.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:16 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Just ditto'ing Taul Paul's advice. It's definitely the way to go.
Do make sure you're actually measuring, and not judging by the covering job, by the way.
I'm not sure what plane you're assembling, but I've seen covering be "off center" more than once
Old 06-10-2004, 12:11 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll "Third" Pauls suggestion
Old 06-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Golfer6464

Thanks you three for giving me the best approach to solve this. Guess this is why I came here in the first place. I'd say this site is worth the price of admission, but then it's free and doesn't give the true value. No better bargain in the world to be found [8D]
Old 06-11-2004, 11:45 PM
bojangle

I'll add a "fourth" to Paul... If I need to plug a hole, I cut a tapered piece, force it in tight as I can, CA it and file off.

Bob