Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 tinting plastic for canopy >

tinting plastic for canopy

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

tinting plastic for canopy

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 09:26 PM
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tinting plastic for canopy

I am looking for a replacement canopy for a Minicraft Javenlin, I hope someone reading this thread can help. please email me a link to a replacement vender for canopy. Or maybe suggest a good replacement. It is 9" long 3 1/2" wide and 3" tall. I have attached a photo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57831.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	197512  
Old 12-04-2004, 09:39 AM

I have already painted the inside of my canopies (lines) with an acrylic paint. Looks good, but I would prefer to now tint the canopy. What experience using Testors transparent paint spraying the inside over the painted lines? I can't risk ruining the canopies.
Happydog
Old 12-16-2004, 12:19 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to smile reading this thread, as I've had all of the problems and disappointments tinting the various canopys.

Some types of plastic won't tint no matter what you use. Someone else in this thread has mentioned Testor's transparent spray tints and I have been using the transparent sprays for years and is my product of choice. I like the blue and I mist on coats until I get the density I want. I get raves over my Piper Cub, yellow with blue tinted windows. Absolutely beautiful, and all of my clear plastic canopys are sprayed with Testors. Try it, I guarantee you'll like it. As with all spraying, do light coats to prevent visible runs.

Fred Dings, II
AMA 108030; IMAA 14913
Old 12-20-2004, 11:22 AM
My Feedback: (85)

When using the Testors paint I use candy colors red,blue purple. The spray cans do not work real well they spray to much paint and go real dark. You need to use the small bottles thin it and spray it on with an airbrush. The more coats you put on the darker it will be.There is a ral good discussion in the Pattern thread about this Along with some examples.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:39 AM
My Feedback: (85)

forgot the discussion on painting the canopy is in the focus II ARF construction by the numbers. look on pages two and three of the thread.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:47 PM

Thanks Fubar one: I'll give it a try as soon as I come up with a container large enough to put a tiger 60 canopy in. But for now it is almost time for the jolly fat guy, no not me, the other jolly fat guy to come, and as usual I have waited till the day, almost, to start my shopping. But you managed to answer my un-asked question about what kind of container to use as well as useing the liqued rit dye. I thought I might have to leave it on the stove on low heat and did not know where to get an in-expensive container that would handle the heat of the burner on the stove. I bought 2 canopies just in case I ruin one. Thanks again, and to all who contribute on these forums. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all $ircra$halot Garry
Old 12-23-2004, 07:47 PM
My Feedback: (22)

I used Pactra spray tinit on this. Tricky stuff though, many very light coats. Just dust it.

Name:	Tr49235.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	206201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39284.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	206202  
Old 02-19-2007, 11:02 PM

What is the best way to tint a canopy with white paint around the edges that is already cut out? It is the canopy off of the aeroworks edge 540 40-60 arf. I want to get a smokey effect that is still transparent.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:57 PM

Here is the result of my tinting using Rit Dye.

1 1/2 gallons of water heated to 140 - 150 degrees
2 parts Black
1 part Royal Blue
1 hour in the pot

Canopy from a Sig Somethin' Extra

Not sure how you'd tint a canopy with the trim cut away and with paint on it. I'd probably look for something to temporarily attach to the canopy that will help hold it's shape.

Name:	Vt56773.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	625929