Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Four stroke oil spray/residue question.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Four stroke oil spray/residue question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 02:47 PM
EGB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four stroke oil spray/residue question.

This may sound like a rediculous question but not owning a four stroke engine requires me to ask this anyway. Is there enough oil generated from the engine (other than the muffler) that is a concern regarding oil soaking on an airplanes frame? I am aware of the significant oil generated from the 2 strokes, but have not had any experience with the 4 strokes. My question is based on a recent airplane plan from MAN. It is a Fokker DVII designed for a .30 size 4 stroke. It is designed without a vertical firewall behind the engine. This arrangement allows air flow past the engine and through the airframe and then out an open area at the bottom end of the fusealage. My concern is whether or not oil from the engine will blow back and contaminate the airframes interior. This is a recent airplane design and I believe the designer would know about potential problems but I have to ask.

Thanks,

EGB
Old 07-15-2004, 03:24 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Four stroke oil spray/residue question.

there is still a significant amount of oil generate by four strokes. not only from the exhaust, but also from the crankcase drain. the drain oil can be routed via a piece of fuel tubing, and the exhaust oil can be directed with the muffler.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:34 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

4-strokes produce FAR less mess than 2-strokes do, but I still wouldn't want it going inside my fuse
Old 07-15-2004, 07:02 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My Saito 180 put more gunk on the airframe from the breather than from the exhaust! And yes, if not redirected, could easily fuel soak the front end of a plane - especially via the tank opening.

Jerry
Old 07-16-2004, 08:30 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Tailskid,

That little hole in the backplate center is a breather ! ? I'm new to the 180, but I love my 72, and the 72 has one underneath the camshaft. I know that one spews like old faithful.

I thought the backplate nipple was just a pressure tap if you drilled through it. You mean there's a hole in there already?
Old 07-16-2004, 08:37 AM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MOST 4 strokes have a "pressure relief" vent. Some (like Saito) have a vent nipple under the front part of the crank, some have it in the backplate. I vent mine to the outside of the plane with a piece of tubing.

Another thing to remember is that if a 4 stroke is not "putting out smoke" it is most likely to lean.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:42 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep Wind Junkie that nipple is so the engine can 'breath' and coat your firewall with excesssssss luberication

The pressure nipple is on the muffler, not on the crank!

Jerry
Old 07-16-2004, 11:11 PM
The Ghost

EGB,
My question is based on a recent airplane plan from MAN. It is a Fokker DVII designed for a .30 size 4 stroke. It is designed without a vertical firewall behind the engine. This arrangement allows air flow past the engine and through the airframe and then out an open area at the bottom end of the fusealage. My concern is whether or not oil from the engine will blow back and contaminate the airframes interior. This is a recent airplane design and I believe the designer would know about potential problems but I have to ask

In reply to the question, You would have to fuel proof the inside of the airframe opened to the engine/air flow.

Cheers,

Remember, Always look after the ORGANIC part of the model.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:06 AM
wind junkie

Oooh.. Thanks for the explanation. So that's where all the fuel came from! I thought it was coming out of the carb! Wonder why the 72 and 100 have different locations for the nipple? Seems like the cams and front bearing won't get as much lubrication this way.