Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Shelf life of fuel

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Shelf life of fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Fishinmagician
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shelf life of fuel

What type of shelf life does model airplane fuel have? I am not sure if the nitro evaporates in time or if moisture can break down the fuel mix. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thx
Old 07-22-2004, 11:15 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Shelf life of fuel

I have part of a jug of fuel that is over 20 years old. Just for fun, I occasionally run some of it through an engine on my test stand. Seems to run OK. I'm presently flying with fuel I bought last September. So far as I know nothing escapes from or enters into a tightly capped plastic fuel jug. Nothing wrong with storing fuel in the dark in a cool dry place.

Jim
Old 07-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Vogan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some fuel that was about 10 years old and it was fine. It had been stored in a sealed container in the dark and in a cool place.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:01 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as it has the original seal and is kept in a cool place (preferably dark), it will last for years. I have fuel that is over 5 years old that I have had no problems with.

If you see moisture droplets on the inside of the container I would be very suspect of the fuel and probably not use it since the factory seal has most likely failed.