Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Simulator for Power & Sailplane??

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Simulator for Power & Sailplane??

Old 12-02-2001, 10:10 PM
Robert Bauer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simulator for Power & Sailplane??

Would like to get info. on which flight simulator is best for both sailplanes and power. Opinions of both pro and con invited.
Old 12-03-2001, 12:25 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you'll find RealFlight's G2 to be heads above the rest. It's also more expensive then the rest, but you get what you pay for.
Old 12-03-2001, 03:27 AM
Bob Ruth

Default Re: Simulator for Power & Sailplane??

Hi Bob,
A really good free R/C simulator is FSM found at
http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/
No matter what you decide to get, FSM will give you a real good taste of what these R/C simulators can and can't do. It can be used with a mock TX box, joysticks or a cable adapter from your real TX box. For a free program it is very well made.
I have the Game Commander (mock transmitter box) and Easyfly combo ($80) and I am very happy with it. It also works very well with FSM. I am only interested in getting use to a TX box again and dusting off my orientation skills, so these low end ones work just fine for me. Tried both Realflight and Dave Brown's and could not swallow the price, but your mileage may very.

Take Care Amigo

Originally posted by Robert Bauer
Would like to get info. on which flight simulator is best for both sailplanes and power. Opinions of both pro and con invited.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:41 AM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robert,

I have not used any of the newer flight sims, so I can't speak for the quality.

But, you do get what you pay for. I bought Real Flight Delux and also purchased the G2 update. For the money I don't think you will find a better one. The graphics and realism is hard to beat.

One note: You will need a good high end graphics computer to get the real benefits.

Randy
Old 12-06-2001, 01:29 AM
Bob Ruth

Not to argue here, but you get what you pay for is a hollow statement. Money paid does not always equal quality nor does one have to buy a high end R/C simulator to get what you want if the low end one address your needs. There is no one right answere here for some it will be a high end like Realflight, while others will find what they need with FSM or Easyfly.
It is like telling everyone that they need to buy a 10 channel programble radio whether they are going to fly helicopters or just elevator & rudder gliders because you get what you pay for. The helicopter pilot has gotten what he needs, but the glider pilot has paid too much for several chanels he will never need or want. That is why we have several types of radios and R/C simulators, so folks can get what suits their needs and budget.
Something to consider:
FMS is a excellent starting point since it is considered by many to be a good simulator for free and one can always purchase a better simulator if FMS does not fullfill everything you want. It is a close too and some ways better sim than Easyfly so it is not some computer nerds tinker toy. It is IMHO a mid range simulator.
Hobby shops/ Mail Order houses are not going to refund your money if you buy Realflight first and find out later that FMS or Easyflight could have filled your needs.
It is your money folks, but I would rather try a good free simulator before sinking the bucks into a high end simulator.

Food for thought.

Originally posted by magnum
Robert,

I have not used any of the newer flight sims, so I can't speak for the quality.

But, you do get what you pay for. I bought Real Flight Delux and also purchased the G2 update. For the money I don't think you will find a better one. The graphics and realism is hard to beat.

One note: You will need a good high end graphics computer to get the real benefits.

Randy
Old 12-06-2001, 01:43 AM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FMS is a excellent starting point since it is considered by many to be a good simulator for free and one can always purchase a better simulator if FMS does not fullfill everything you want
In a long round about way, I think you said the same thing I did?