Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP ME!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 07:04 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PLEASE HELP ME!

Just noticed aeajr is also in NY city, so spend a day, get a ride (even if it's an hour long drive, and get together with him.

I've seen aeajr post here often enough to presume that he'd be happy to give you a hand.
Dennis-
Old 09-25-2004, 09:51 AM
davidmor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: enyce2k9

aeajr,Thanks for all that valuable info! i actually read everything and its good to know all of it.

Sadly i have the worst of luck,my decathlon came with very bad workmanship.
in the most crucial component ( the propeller direction ) the plane always would slightly turn right,on ground,
on air(trust me), theres no hope,i cant deal with this nonsense from wattage.

Thanks for reading.

enyce2k9,

No offence but you REALLY need to find help. The "very bad workmanship" as you call it, I call right thrust. Most airplanes have their engine/motor tilted slightly to the right to counteract the torque caused by the engine/motor. It is not bad workmanship, it is correct. If it is pulling to the right when taxiing, you can trim it straight either with the transmitter or by adjusting the pushrods. Most of these planes (park flyers) are fairly delicate and will break with a "slightly nose heavy landing". Again, this is not poor workmanship, it is a poor landing attempt. Between these comments, and your previous posts, it is extremely obvious that you don't have the knowledge necessary for a successful flight. Please spend a couple of minutes looking at www.modelaircraft.org and search for a chartered flying site near you, or look for a group of park flyers flying near you and ASK FOR HELP!!![X(] I know you want to try and go it alone, and I understand that mindset as I tend to be that way, but with this hobby you really need to get assistance if you don't want to go broke and shed a lot of tears. The vast majority of modelers are very helpful and love to teach new flyers. Just ask and you will get more help than you think. Just look at the help you are getting here on this site......
Old 09-25-2004, 12:06 PM
enyce2k9

haha,
you are all right i dont disagree
but i still think i should ship this decathlon back,it is missing a little thing that holds the small tube which spins the propeller from the gearbox( i checked all the hardware stores and none have it ).
also the landing gear is fine but were you adapt it its not good, a small plastic broke of which caused pressure for the landing gear to stay firmly in place,now it spreads around with the weight of the plane (not good).
and needless to say the thrust direction thingy.

i believe wattage is not a bad company at all,but i think if i had more experience i would be able to actually have sucessful flights,
it all points to me in the end,,ahh great

DBCherry is right,aeajr i gotta meet you were in ny are you?

and another thing is i am really really interested in getting this plane http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...co/hcaa14.html
please check it out and tell me if you know of it.

edit:i understand with wind it depends if the pilot could handle it ,not the plane. but i am interested in the plane from the link because i am gettin into this rc world when we are approaching cold season,so i cant actually learn with a light weight plane.average wind mph is 6-10.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:53 PM
air mail rcu

I think that would be a good one to start with. You might want to buy some extra battery packs.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:59 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: DBCherry

Just noticed aeajr is also in NY city, so spend a day, get a ride (even if it's an hour long drive, and get together with him.

I've seen aeajr post here often enough to presume that he'd be happy to give you a hand.
Dennis-
Actually I am on Long Island, Nassau county. Would be glad to look over your plane, give it a try and see what I can do to help you trim it out.

My field accepts sailplanes and low speed electrics (typically speed 400 8cells or below).

It is always fun to get my hands on a plane I have never flown. No gurantee, but I would be happy to give it a try. PM me if you want to pay me a visit.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:25 AM
enyce2k9

sup peeps,

the decathlon is a cool plane but too many little things just came wrong,(the slightly turned propeller is not one now i learned some come like that *thanks davidmor).the little problems are
-manual wont provide info for cg,even thoe i could do a small project and find out the exact cg i would prefer the company version.
-as i said before the small landing gear socket had a little plastic which broke off in a landing,so now theres not enough pressure to hold the landing gear firmly.& i lost the tail wheel,so now im mostly doomed if i want to take off.
-also as i said earlier,im missing a small holder for the little spinning thing that holds the propeller(not big deal but i cant get it anywhere near me)
-besides a refund would not be bad i could then buy a good trainer get some experience then come back to wattage.

I have decided to call global service this monday,i would ask for a refund and order the BEST trainer plane i could.
aeajr i appreciate your invitation but for now i can't go,it is increidibly easy to go on car thoe.
So i might consider giving you a visit in probably in 2-3weeks.

EDIT: also davidmor,i understand why you would say i need immediate help when i've said that i messed up the landing gear thingy and lost the tail wheel ,but the truth is my friend was insisting on controlling the plane when i hand launch.I thought nothing horrible could happen he has played some simulators but also like me no true experience,so i perfectly handlaunched the decathlon while my friend held the throttle 100% then suddenly according to him the plane rolled by itself.*this annoyed me inside,i still have a feeling if i was the one making the quick landing i would have not messed anything up,due to the fact it seemd like the landing he made had hard impact on the wheels.!!!anoying i would never everrrrr let any unexperience friend try to fly MY PLANE.
leason learned.[:@]
Old 09-26-2004, 05:09 AM
SST

You know this is the second plane you've messed up, and you're still expecting the seller to just say "oh well" and hand you another or a refund. You've been offered help & advise here which you've shined on for two strikes, and you haven't even troubled yourself to find out where the center of gravity (the balance point thingy ) is, or what down and right thrust are for. Believe me, it IS in your instructions, and if you were unable to find it there, a simple phone call to WattAge would have squared you away. Truth is, no plane is going to fly itself, and you gotta read the instructions (all of 'em) when you set them up. As far as sim time, it's sim time. It helps, but it ain't a substitute for the real world, kid. Like the man said, no one ever wrote a story about those brave men and their proud simulators. Get yourself some real help from someone who knows what they're doing, or consider taking your second refund and getting into stamp collecting or something.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:35 AM
enyce2k9

hah stamp collecting what a hobbie,
nah im sure i could handle this rc hobby,
to be honest i havent even try to fix anything.(even thoe theres almost nothing to fix).

i know this hobby is all about being creative when is up to fixing some problems but i just don't seem interested in this plane.
i am interested in the hobbico superstar ep,it's been said to be a great beginner and it even brings a video with it,i mean i would be building that plane the exact way the company would,the only problem is it is a wood construction plane*i heard there are replacements anyway.

now simple help i need is choosing a plane with these specs :
-trainer
-under $250
-has landing gear
-electric
-looks good
-rtf of course
-& has to be over 22oz (i wanna fly safely in winter)

i know this is just a dream list ,but if any of you know a plane matching some of these criterias please just help at least this last tame and tell me
the plane![>:].
the next plane i buy would be the one i'm going to really learn with! and bytheway SST [:'(] the manual DOES NOT MENTION THE CG just like the other wattage,!believe me ive searched and read and read and NOTHING.
(lets leave this decathlon behind its just a plane which i would get my refund with,it is resellable so im sure global services would refund with no problems)
Old 09-26-2004, 10:55 AM
air mail rcu

Global, might give you a different plane. I don't think they will give you your money back. If they do that must be a great company.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

my advice to you is get a plane you can crash repeatedly without falling apart. as i told you, i personally recommend the aerobird (with undercarriage, which is what you want) or a glider like the badius. otherwise, you will end up stamp collecting or chasing the girl next door (more often) instead of flying model planes. better still, join a real gliding club !!! just a thought !
Old 09-26-2004, 01:05 PM
davidmor

ORIGINAL: enyce2k9

EDIT: also davidmor,i understand why you would say i need immediate help when i've said that i messed up the landing gear thingy and lost the tail wheel ,but the truth is my friend was insisting on controlling the plane when i hand launch.I thought nothing horrible could happen he has played some simulators but also like me no true experience,so i perfectly handlaunched the decathlon while my friend held the throttle 100% then suddenly according to him the plane rolled by itself.*this annoyed me inside,i still have a feeling if i was the one making the quick landing i would have not messed anything up,due to the fact it seemd like the landing he made had hard impact on the wheels.!!!anoying i would never everrrrr let any unexperience friend try to fly MY PLANE.
leason learned.[:@]
With all due respect, the outcome would have been the same if you were the one at the sticks or your friend was. I have to agree with SST. You have been given repeated good advise to get help and you have ignored it expecting Global to pick up the price of your stubborness. You then try to blame the problems on your friend. Stop blaming others for your unwillingness to take the advise of experienced (I have 17 years in the hobby an others have a LOT more experience than me) pilots and accept responsibility for your actions. There was nothing wrong with the plane. The problem is your inability to accept help. If you want to be that stubborn, that is fine but don't expect Global to pay the price for it.

Also, a very quick search on the net showed that the suggested CG (you know that 'balance thingie') for your plane is 1 3/4" back from the leading edge of the wing. (That is the front edge of the wing) Also two minutes worth of reading found that other pilots have had better success with the CG moved to 1 1/2" to make it a little more nose heavy. If you check Ezone there is a lot of info on your plane.

If you want a very good easy to fly plane for a beginner look at the GWS Slowstick. It is an ARF, and you will need to assemble it yourself but you will be treated with a fantastic flying, easy landing, and fairly durable airplane. There are also packages available with everything you need to fly. It is very cheap (the plane kit itself is under $40), parts are easy to get, and there are absolutely tons of modifications that can be done to it to make it do more things once you learn to fly. But understand this, IT WON'T FLY ITSELF! You must fly it, and in order for that to happen you need to learn how to fly a real RC model, not a sim. The best way that this can happen is for you to GET HELP! (Hmmm, where have I heard this before?) I have also heard great things about the Aerobird planes though I haven't had one myself.

I better stop now. I feel like I am beating my head against the wall and I get enough of that feeling talking to my teenaged daughter! [:@]
Old 09-26-2004, 07:34 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't believe I can offer any more value here. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2004, 08:36 PM
enyce2k9

aeajr,and everyone else thanks for all the help.
i believe i might be annoying some here,and i cant blame.

what i would do is continue what i said,return plane,if possible get refund,either way i would receive a real trainer.

i would post once i make my first flight.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:18 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The adage "bigger flies better" is true for a several reasons, the main one being more mass means less effect from wind--being blown around in a breeze. Unfortunately, park fliers are too light for much of a wind.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:26 AM
SST

ORIGINAL: davidmor

I better stop now. I feel like I am beating my head against the wall and I get enough of that feeling talking to my teenaged daughter! [:@]
I don't know why I keep following this thread. I guess it's like picking a scab though...I don't want to, I know I'll wish I hadn't, but I just gotta see what happens. And I feel so [:@] after...
Old 09-30-2004, 12:28 PM
enyce2k9

,finally i got this 2fly
and im glad global didn't give me the refund because this plane is good

it is very satisfying to see a rc plane in the air,which you have full control over,
now the only thing im not sure on is choosing a more powerful battery.i currently have the stock 8.4v 7cell 600mah

could anyone suggest a powerful battery at least 1000mah,and a quick charger?in other words a good combo for a understandlable price?

thanks peeps,i appreciate the help.