Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

PCM receivers and Digital servos

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

PCM receivers and Digital servos

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 12:09 AM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM receivers and Digital servos

hello everyone. Up until now all of my planes I have been using the regular radio gear the FM receiver and the standard servos or ball bearing servos. I never had a problem with my standard gear or ever had any glitches with my FM receivers. I just wanted to get some input and hear some opinions about PCM receivers and Digital servos. What you guys thing the advantages or disadvantages to digital servos and PCM receivers are. Do you guys in general thing they are the better choice ?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:37 AM
Spaceclam

Default RE: PCM receivers and Digital servos

i always fly pcm. if i get a radio hit, it will keep going rather than go into the spiral of death. that gives me time to curse and scream out get off 22, and it usually works. as far as digitals go, unless you are going warbird or 3d or jets or something. they are super strong, super accurate and super fast. they also hold subtle changes better. with an analog servo, the amount of correction it gives is directly perportional to how far off it is. so lets say your servo is off by 1 degree. the servo recognises that, but because it is not far from the middle, it does not give a lot of correction. depending on the applications, that may or may not be enough. when there are high loads, that will cause it to chase the trim, as in trim out straight and level but pull a hard up and it will not be the same. the advantage of this is that it does not use a lot of power. a digital servo uses all the torque it has to get it back on center. it does not care how far of it is. it will fight with all it's might, and due to the digital circuit inside, it is extremely strong. however the downside is that it costs a lot more and it uses power like nobody's business.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:59 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

No one needs PCM or digital servos.
I use PCM because If something happens to my transmitter while my plane is on the ground I do not want my plane deciding it will start taking off. I have had this happen. I use digitals because I need the strength because my plane has large control surfaces. Other than that, you don't need the enhancement.
ORIGINAL: rccrazedman

hello everyone. Up until now all of my planes I have been using the regular radio gear the FM receiver and the standard servos or ball bearing servos. I never had a problem with my standard gear or ever had any glitches with my FM receivers. I just wanted to get some input and hear some opinions about PCM receivers and Digital servos. What you guys thing the advantages or disadvantages to digital servos and PCM receivers are. Do you guys in general thing they are the better choice ?
Old 09-03-2004, 05:50 AM
LuckyArmpit

If I had 1/4 scale or somehting that large with 1000's invested, I'd do PCM. But I don't see the need for it for 40,60 or 90 size.
I also got a couple of stakes, wrapped foam around them and stick them in the ground. Put the plane's horizontal stab behind them
and then start the plane. It aint goin nowheres if a throttle burp comes up.

Dave....
Old 09-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Geistware

We had a guy with his Funtana restrained and a throttle burp ripped the tail end off of his lane. It was funny but we all tried not to laugh. I have had my Ohio RC Tail wheel bracket break at the bend. While I do stand in front of my plane to start it, I briskly avoid the area in front of the plane while I am flipping it over. Never can be too safe.

As for pertaining to the thread. I feel safer with a PCM receiver because I know that my throttle will not advance due to a erroneous signal and cause me or someone else injury!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:04 AM
smokingcrater

We had a guy with his Funtana restrained and a throttle burp ripped the tail end off of his lane.
the funtana is so weak the tail can't support that? remind me to change my plans to buy a funtana!!
Old 09-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Spaceclam

buy an extreme flight yak 54 instead!
Old 09-03-2004, 09:00 PM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

thanks for all of the comments . keep them coming . also if your running many digital servos because of the high current draw what mah battery packs are recemended for a setup like this.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Geistware

I am running 9 digitals and one analog and my setup draws 1.8 amps average.

ORIGINAL: rccrazedman

thanks for all of the comments . keep them coming . also if your running many digital servos because of the high current draw what mah battery packs are recemended for a setup like this.