Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Andy Lennon

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Drexus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Andy Lennon

Who here knows of my friend Andy Lennon. He's written some books on Aircraft design.

Does anyone have any of the books I'm talking about?
Old 09-11-2004, 11:23 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Andy Lennon

I don't have any of his books, but I have read many of his articles. Always informative, but unfortunately often overly technical. I can understand where one would have the need to provide the basis for the determination to prove the point valid, though.

I have not seen or heard anything from him in the magazines for a while. I trust that all is well?
Old 09-12-2004, 08:50 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the only book that I know of that was published. Unfortunately, it is merely a compilation of a number of articles that he had writted. Very disorganized, and difficult to follow, although much good information.

Les
Old 09-13-2004, 04:35 PM
cwesh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have his book, Basics of RC Model Aircraft Design. At least I think that is the title. (At work now, book is 20 miles away! ) For me it is a great book. I used it extensivly when I was designing my plane, especially chapter 21, canards.

Here is the result! And the plane flies GREAT!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31082.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	172960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36602.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	172961  
Old 09-25-2004, 07:50 PM
Mike James

In my opinion, "The Basics of RC Model Aircraft Design" ( ISBN: 0-911295-40-2 ), available through Air Age Publishing at http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/li...id=8&catego=BO is one of the most valuable books to have around. I don't build planes that look like Andy's, ( although I built a swift, and some similar ones, years ago ) but his math, and his references are dependable, and I use them often.

Also, beginning in the mid 1990s, I actually called Mr. Lennon and spoke to him about some design questions. He was, on several occasions, more than patient, and informative, as well. The last time I spoke to him was around 2001 or so, and again, he was more than willing to discuss design concepts. I only wish he would take the online plunge, and be available via email, etc.. His presence here, for example, would be great.

Andy is one of those guys who has a lot to contribute, and it's only because he's not "in the public eye"more, ( say, via competition ) that we don't hear more about him. If you build some of his designs, or simply use the research he's done to create your own, you will create good-flying airplanes.

My hat's off to you, Andy!
Old 12-27-2004, 12:22 AM
Edge 540

I just received the book "Aircraft Design" as a gift. There is a lot of information on many different subjects.
-design
-construction
-formulas
-cowls
-float planes
-landing gear
There are a few parts where ideas or terms are referred to, and then described a few pages later, but it all makes good sense if you read it through and don't skim. It is a goldmine of information, especially if you want to design your own planes and build from scratch. (LOST ART??????????????) I find it fascinating, and will definitely use it a LOT. If anyone here has built any of the Andy Lennon designs, please post your results! I would like to build some of them. If anyone has pictures or video exc I would live to see it. Especially on the more unusual designs! I would love to get in contact with him, so if anyone has info please let me know. (PM)
Thanks
Old 10-17-2006, 03:38 PM
swampie

Some time ago a friend showed me an Andy Lennon article on "Canards and tandem wing design". Do you know of a source for this article? It also had a part 2 which I never found.

Thanks!!