Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 12:39 PM
ekau20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint question

Can i use a model paint like model master enamels or Tamiya Acrylics to paint a plane?
can i use it over covering for text etc..
thanks
Eran
Old 09-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Paint question

If you are flying electrics you have no problems.

If you are flying glow, I suggest clear coating them with something like LusterKote clear, Ultracote clear or 2 coats of waterbase polyurethane. This way you will be sure they are glow fuel resistant.

The other thing you can do is to set up some test panels and paint them with the paints you plan to use. Let them dry, then pour some raw fuel on them and let them sit overnite. When you wipe them off you will find out very quickly which ones are safe to use without a clear coat.

FWIW - MOST of the Duro "Van & Truck" paint in the 11 oz spray cans from Wal-Mart are labled "Acrylic Lacquer". The acrylic lacquer is definitely fuel resistant to 10% (probably higher ) nitro. I have also found MOST of the acrylic enamels to be fuel resistant also. I believe the "acrylic" is the key to if it is fuel resistant or not, although a lot of the "Rustoleum" paints are fuel resistant and they do not say acrylic on the can.

The only FUEL PROOF paints I am aware of are the automotive 2 part paints and the 2 part epoxy paints.

Clear WATER BASE polyurethane is fuel resistant to 10% (maybe more ) nitro. I use latex when painting my planes and then use 2 coats of water base poly over it. In 18 months it has held up as well as LusterKote or Ultracote and the water base clear does not yellow either.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:00 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Yes and Yes

As mentioned already, you will need to put some sort of compatible clear coat to protect it from glow fuel. Be careful with LustreKote clear as it may not be compatible with some "non-RC" paints. I used nelson's clear w/cross-linker over Model Master paints recently and it worked very well.

To paint over covering material like monocote, you need to skuff it up with steel wool then clean with acetone then paint.

Kent
Old 09-29-2004, 05:25 PM
PROTOBOB

WHAT IS CAUSING THE PREPAINTED WHITE COVERITE TO TURN DULL ON THE TOP SURFACE OF MY MODEL? NO DIRECT UV EXCEPT WHEN AT THE FIELD. THE SURFACE ALMOST HAS WHAT I USED TO CALL BLUSH FROM DOPE APPLICATION IN HIGH HUMIDITY CONDITIONS.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:36 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Protobob,

Film covering do get scratched and loose shine, what are you cleaning your plane with?

CA glue can cause this type of "fogging" too. Is it just around the hinges or other glued areas?

A picture might be helpful.

P.S. You should have started a new thread. I see that your new so we will let it slide

Kent
Old 09-29-2004, 07:06 PM
PROTOBOB

THE WHOLE UPPER SURFACE OF THE MODEL IS DULL AND YES IT DOES LOOK LIKE THE CA FOGGING A BIT. IT IS ONLY ON THE RAW COVERITE AND NOT ON THE PAINTED SURFACE WHICH IS STILL VERY GLOSSY.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:30 PM
SilverEagleBW
My Feedback: (1)

Try waxing it with an auto detail shop type of product.The kind that adversises the 'SHOWROOM SHINE'.My brother manufactures some of those products and it works pretty darn good on monkote.Stop into a detail shop or call a few and ask to buy some.