Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What Glue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 01:19 PM
magilla12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Glue?

I have just got a 1/3 scale Extra kit and am wondering what glue to use building it. I have had good luck with smaller kits using CA. What do you guys think.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:28 PM
phread59

Default RE: What Glue?

CA should work fine. However the cost will be pretty high for all the CA you will need. I would reccomend Titebond II. Aliphatic resin is very strong and considerably cheaper. The build time will be longer though. I would say use Tightbond here. Some CA and epoxy where applicable. Just use the Tightbond for general construction and you should be fine.

Mark Shuman
Old 10-03-2004, 02:12 PM
magilla12

Thanks, I am not in a hurry so drying time is not a problem.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:20 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like to use a mixture. Ca for speed, Titebond to save on expense. For example: For putting on a Cap Strip, I'll put a line of Titebond along the top of the rib, but leave the two ends and about a 1/2" gap in the middle bare. Then add a drop of Medium CA to each end and the gap in the middle and lay the cap strip on. The 3 dabs of CA hold it in place instantly while the Titebond cures.

Quick - Easy - and Cheap
Old 10-04-2004, 05:10 PM
magilla12

Thanks, that sounds like a good Idea. What is the difference in titebond and waterproof wood glue?

Gerald
Old 10-04-2004, 06:56 PM
phread59

Tightbond is not waterproof. Tightbond II is waterproof. (If my memory serves) I use Elmers or tightbond, I am using Elmer's wood (carpenter's) glue now because the bottle has a nice small tip. As apposed to the tightbond's wide one. I have used Sigbond and really liked it. It is a little thicker than Tightbond. stayed put a little better. I just have no local source anymore. One of these days when I do order something mail order I will get a few bottles.

Mark Shuman
Old 10-05-2004, 07:32 AM
magilla12

Thats my problem, I would have to order titebond from Tower, but I can get elmers about anywhere, I think I will use waterproof carpenter's glue.

Gerald
Old 10-05-2004, 07:47 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Waterproof glue is for exterior (outside) applications. Other than costing a little more than regular glue, I don't know if there is any benefit to using it on model aircraft. Maybe for seaplanes? Even so, I don't think anyone expects the structure to get wet in ordinary usage.