Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need help with flying wires

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need help with flying wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with flying wires

I need to reinforce my vertical and horizontal stablizer and want to add flying wires to a fourty size airplane. What would look good and work good as well? Also, explain how to go about doing this. I was kind of thinking of using a small diameter wire and a small eyelet or something that I could put a 2/56 screw and nut through. I want it to look kind of scale.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need help with flying wires

Good luck on making it look scale. I'm in the same dilema with my 1/6 scale P6E. The hardware manufactures don't seem to recognize there are planes smaller than 1/4 scale and even that hardware is "ugly". The best I've found is streamline wire from Nelson Hobbies. Unfortunately the small clevises that Jerry used to sell are not available anymore. Typically, full scale aircraft used round wires on the tail surfaces and airfoil shape on the wing wires. Both have clevises to attach to the surfaces. The best you can do is make your own tabs to mount on the Vertical fin and stabilizer and make up the round wires with the standard DuBro style clevis. Solder style at one end and threaded on the other end for adjustment capability.

John
Old 10-11-2004, 07:26 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Thin pushrod wire and small diameter brass tube soldered to the end. flatten out the brass and drill a hole.

Not much available in "store bought".
Dennis-
Old 11-14-2004, 02:05 PM
stearmoth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

You can buy clevises and custom made flying wires from me at Aero Scale Products: http://bredavik.se/flyingwire

Would enjoy hearing from you!
Kind regards
Hans
Old 11-14-2004, 02:21 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

I used 40/40 pull pull cable on my funtana .40 size.

I also used sullivan throttle linkage tube. very small diameter. I drilled holes in the horizontal and vert stabs. put the tubing in and cut it down flush. then I ran the wire through the plane to the bottom. at the bottom I put clevises that could be adjusted on both ends and put some metal brackets on the bottom to attach the clevises too. I started at the top of the vert stab and used thinn CA to glue the wire in place in the tube. I then pulled the wire taught at each elevator side and glued there also. (***make sure you keep the 90 degree angle from elevator to rudder though!***). Then you the top half should never really get loose. and you can use the adjustable clevis at the bottom to tighten there.

Havne't had any problems with my .40 Funtana