Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

New To 1/4 Scale

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

New To 1/4 Scale

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 06:08 AM
turnwaldw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To 1/4 Scale

I about to finnish my first 1/4 scale plane a Balsa USA Fokker DVIII. I am going to use fabric to cover the Fuselage but have never used it before can any one give me some pointers on the fine art of doping fabric.

Second I want to paint the sheeted wing what kind of sealer do I need to put on the wing so I can paint it.

Thanks For any help
Dave T.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New To 1/4 Scale

ORIGINAL: turnwaldw

I about to finnish my first 1/4 scale plane a Balsa USA Fokker DVIII. I am going to use fabric to cover the Fuselage but have never used it before can any one give me some pointers on the fine art of doping fabric.

>You don't indicate what kind of fabric you will be using. SolarTex (preffered )
>and Coverite come pre-painted. There is also a "lozenge" pre-painted fabric
>available.
>
>
>A regular fabric will need to be sealed first. Use a 50/50 mix of clear dope and
>talcum powder to seal the weave. You will most likely need 2 or 3 coats to
>completely seal the weave. After it dries, CAREFULLY sand it with 400 grit WET,
> then apply your primer and paint or apply the dope.

Second I want to paint the sheeted wing what kind of sealer do I need to put on the wing so I can paint it.

>I suggest 1 coat of a sanding sealer OR 1 coat of the dope/talcum powder mix.
>Again, sand with 400 grit WET after it is dry.

Thanks For any help
Dave T.
FWIW - You may want to investigate using latex paint. The paint has several pluses to it: NO FUMES, can get an EXACT color match, if you don't like the results it can be wiped off with a wet cloth (usually up to 12 hours ) and a quart of color matched paint costs ABOUT $10.

The negatives to latex are: While the paint dries to the touch quickly, it takes an average of 7 - 10 days to "cure". If you are using glow fuel you will need to clear coat it. After the paint cures, I use 2 coats of a water base polyurethane to fuel proof it. If you are interested, there is an article on this. Do a search here on "latex paint" and it will provide the link to the article.

Hope this answers your questions.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:32 AM
turnwaldw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Campy

I will be using Glenn Torrances printed fabric for the fuselage.
The wing is justed sheeted Balsa I tried some sanding sealer last night from SIG it just seamed to goop on when I tried to brush it on the wing.
Davr T.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the sanding sealer I have for other projects. It is made by MinWax. You don't need to stir it and the instructions say to use a bristle brush, not a foam brush, to apply. I put one coat on, let it dry overnight and then sand it to remove the "fuzzies". USUALLY, I can do it without any runs (the stuff is as thin as water).

I have not had any problems with it "gooping up" or otherwise messing up except from my messing up.