Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Third Plane...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Dave the RcFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third Plane...

Well I did the trainer, now I'm flying the Something Extra. I'm going to fly all winter so I'm wondering what a good kit would be to buy now that I can fly this spring, I'm going to enter it in 4-h so It probably won't fly until next june some time.

I really like the 30's style look. I also would like to go into 3d but I'm not sure what would be best right now.

What would be a good fist warbird?
Old 10-18-2004, 12:27 AM
Wing-Ding

Default RE: Third Plane...

I like the look of the [link=http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1325.html]Shoestring[/link] ARF. It's not 30's but rather 40's. It may not be advanced enough for you, if you're currently flying a Somthin Extra.

My third plane will be the [link=http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1305.html]Patty Wagstaff's Extra 300S[/link]. I am currently flying a Sig 4*60 and hope I gain enough experience by Spring to be able to fly it. I don't know about a first warbird. I like P-51's, but I don't know whether or not that would be a good choice for a first warbird.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:39 AM
Dave the RcFlyer

p-51's tipstall really bad. I don't really want to do a spitfire because there are already 4 of them in the club. does anyone have any experience with corsairs?
Old 10-18-2004, 10:25 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Great Planes "Sweet Thing" is a 46 size P-51 that is an excellent first warbird (and no, it doesn't tip stall)

Check it out:

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0175.html
Old 10-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Dave the RcFlyer

thank you I'll look into it, it looks great.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:00 AM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

if you want a kit you could go with a 4*40. Look on tower hobbies under the size and the kit section and there you go they have some good stuff.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:33 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Dave the RcFlyer

Well I did the trainer, now I'm flying the Something Extra. I'm going to fly all winter so I'm wondering what a good kit would be to buy now that I can fly this spring, I'm going to enter it in 4-h so It probably won't fly until next june some time.

I really like the 30's style look. I also would like to go into 3d but I'm not sure what would be best right now.

What would be a good fist warbird?
A good, easy to fly 1st warbird would be the "Bird Dog". This is basically a Cessna high wing in military markings.

If you like the 30's style, check out the Arado and the FW-56 (Stosser). Both are parasol wing warbirds from the 30's. The ONLY tricky part on either bird is getting the main wing incidence set correctly. Once that is set correctly, they fly pretty much like a spirited trainer. Both are 4 channel planes (in glow version ).

I have included a picture of my FW-56 (Stosser )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36833.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	184243  
Old 12-26-2004, 03:17 PM
what?

I think the best third plane is the size 40 T-34 it is a low wing plane retracts are optional. you can put from 40-61 engine.

good luck
Old 12-26-2004, 03:50 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

One of the sweetest flying kits around. GP Super Sporster 40. I had one in the 80's. Many of my friends still fly them. It is the benchmark to which we compare all other planes. Now , it isn't the path to 3D. It is more of the old school idea of a good honest sport plane. Light on the controls, but tracks well. A light wing loading allows instant recovery so routines can be performed on the deck. The top speed is very respectable, and yet it lands very slow. It handles the wind well. And it has a classic look.

The H9 60 Mustang seems a very honest airplane. I would be surprised if it bit anyone. Good looks and slow approach speed. I have only flown a friends a couple of times and he was having bad eingine problems. I loaped around just above an idle trying to milk that engine back around to land. The plane was rock solid at very low speeds. And it landed beautifully on the mains. I was very impressed. I am considering one myself.

I just finished the CG Chipmunk. Carl Goldberg was the master at designing kits for idiots. The kits simply cannot be screwed up. And yet the finished product is a very refined machine that handles great. Again, great tracking, yet light controls, quick recovery and good power to wieght ratio. An OS 90 with 2.8 bhp on this 7 pounder will surpass the magic 3 pounds per hosrepower to achieve a 1 to 1 T to W ratio. However, being the over the hill old schooler that I am, I enjoy flying it just as it was intended to be flown. The plane has historical signifigance since it was flown by the legendary Art Shcoll , one of the great airshow performers of his day. Again, the plane handles the wind wonderfully.

The ultimate plane for flying in the wind, ( I mention this one, because I don't know what it is like in ND ) is and always will be the Sig Kougar. 30 knots is a light breeze with a Kougar. While other sit at home and pout, you can fly to your hearts content. If you can stand up in it, you can fly in it. A foam wing , sheeted with balsa. A box fuse with a nice turtle deck give this model the look of an early era jet fighter ! Sweet plane.

As for airplanes from the great Golden Age of aviation, 1929 to 1939, ships like the Travelair Mystery ship, Vega, Gamma, Orion and the likes have never had the broad appeal they deserve. Consequently modelling one of those romantic beauties generally means buying plans and scratch building.