Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Saito Engines 120 to 180 Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Saito Engines 120 to 180 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 05:33 PM
xkadet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito Engines 120 to 180 Conversion

Does anyone have any experience converting a Saito 120 to a 180? I understand the cases and some of the parts are the same, but I believe the stroke as well as the piston, head, cylinder are different. Any insight or information will be appreciated.
Also, can standard servos be safely used on the Ultra Stick 120 size for the Ailerons, rudder, elevator?
Thanks for any and all help.

Xkadet
Old 10-21-2004, 06:32 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Saito Engines 120 to 180 Conversion

Never use standard servos on anything bigger than 40 for sport or extreme aerobatics. Max I'd go is 60 sized for warbirds or other scale stuff that's easy on the servos. For the Utra Stick 120, I'd go 90 oz or more. Also I'd only use metal gear. I learned the hard way on a 120 sized CAP.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:53 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe you would find that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole, meaning that by the time you bought all the stuff you would need to change the engine, you could buy one complete. Also, what would you do with all the parts you no longer needed? Keep the 1.20 and buy a 1.80. Or sell the 1.20 . Saito's of any size shouldn't be hard to get rid of, they're great engines.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:39 AM
xkadet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh well, I thought it was worth the try. Thanks for the information on the conversion and servos.
My brother's ultra stick started coming apart in mid air. When they found it and checked it over they found the aileron servo gears were stripped.
Metal gears sound like the smart choice to me!
Thanks again for the help.