Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Broken CA hinge

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Broken CA hinge

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 05:09 PM
rwh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken CA hinge

So here's the deal....... TwinStar ARF, ailerons with torque rods and CA hinges. Noticed while cleaning up the plane that a CA hinge had broken, the one adjacent to the torque rod.

Even if I cut out all the other hinges, I'm not gonna get that aileron out without ripping out the torque rod. I'm about to cut out a notch so I can lift out the torque rod assembly and repair the problem.

Any better ideas?
Old 08-14-2002, 08:10 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Broken CA hinge

Why not just replace the CA hinge with a covering type hinge? Much easier, and no cutting.

In case you're not familiar with the procedure, cut 6 pieces of covering about 1/2" x 1 1/2". match them up as 3 pairs of 2. Now, working with 1 of the pairs, turn 1 upside down, overlap about 1/4 inch and heat them together. Do this with all 3 pairs. Next, weave one through the gap and attach it to the bottom of the wing and the top of the aileron. Slide the next one through the gap right next to the first, but reverse this one so that it will be attached to the TOP of the wing, and the BOTTOM of the aileron. Then, attach the third one the same as the first.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21512_7722.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	13607  
Old 08-15-2002, 01:04 PM
rwh

Default Broken CA hinge

Ya know, Mike, I was thinking about something like that, but I wasn't sure how to implement it. I did put some clear "packing tape" on both sides of the broken hinge area, and although it sealed the gap it didn't provide any support to the aileron. I thought about the weave process, but the adhesive needs to change sides so I didn't go any further.

The other advantage to your suggestion is that if the color swaps on the two sides, its not a problem.

Thanks, I'll be doing that repair before the day's over!
Old 08-15-2002, 01:50 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Broken CA hinge

Miniflyer gave you excellent advice. I use this type of hinge on all my planes, even the quarter scale, with never a failure. I've done it with monocoat, ultracote, the variouse fabrics and all work well. There is another site that gives some good ideas on hinges, it is http://www.flightlines.com/forum/For...ML/000053.html
Old 08-15-2002, 06:52 PM
rwh

Default Broken CA hinge

Rodney, that is a good site and good explanation of the techniques. I did the repair to my TwinStar, and the spot seems as tight and strong as the other hinges.

I'll keep these ideas in mind for my next construction project!