Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Tailwheel Question ??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tailwheel Question ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 01:07 AM
OldCoot
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailwheel Question ??

Are there any drawbacks to using a castoring tailwheel as opposed to a steerable other than windy taxi conditions ??

I am building my first tail dragger (4* 60) and the tailwheel mounts directly to the rudder which I am a little leary of.
Maybe I shouldn't be concerned. Is there much stress on the tailwheel ??

Thanks !
Old 11-11-2004, 01:17 AM
Herb Brown
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Tailwheel Question ??

Taxiing in a crosswind is a lot easier to do with a steerable tailwheel. Also helps to get the plane rolling in the intended direction on takeoff.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:20 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

It is true that a steerable tailwheel is preferable, but a caster tailwheel works fine for all practical purposes--just gun the engine to put propblast on the rudder when you want to turn. My solution is to fix the tailwheel tiller to the rudder by slipping a piece of fuel tubing over the tiller, then gooping the fuel line to the bottom edge of the rudder. This allows any tailwheel shocks to be absorbed without overstressing your rudder servo. This approach works well with the Dubro tailwheel, which is lightweight and reasonably priced. Try to line up the vertical axis of the tailwheel wire with the rudder hinge line--but if you're off a bit, the tiller will just slide around inside the fuel tubing.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:43 AM
DaveB

I don't know about the 4*60 tail wheel, but the tail wheel on the 4*40 was a weak spot. After having to be repaired several times I replaced the stock tail wheel with the small "Sullivan" tail wheel which attaches to the fuse and is steered by a spring connected to the rudder. This works very well and far superior to what was provided with the kit.

DaveB
Old 11-11-2004, 09:11 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 4*60 and swapped out the standard rudder mounted tail wheel for a sullivan. Never regretted doing so.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:46 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What hookedonrc said. Here a link to the correct Sullivan tailwheel http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFV47&P=ML
Old 11-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are flying off grass, use a tail skid instead of a wheel. works just as well and a lot simpler and cheaper. On a hard surface, use a steerable tailwheel. With a skid, you learn to use the elevator as well as the rudder on taxi. Just a slight bit of down elevator on the turns to get the tail skid barely off the ground and a quick blast of throttle will let you turn on a dime.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Don Presten

I also recommend the Sullivan - best of both worlds - the spring steering system works very well without overstressing rudder or airframe.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:02 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Rodney
If you are flying off grass, use a tail skid instead of a wheel. works just as well and a lot simpler and cheaper.
I fly two taildraggers off grass. One with a steerable tailwheel and the other with a wire skid. The one with the tailwheel is very well mannered. The one with the skid tends to be a bit of a handful. The skid is particularly troublesome in windy conditions. At times I can't get the plane to turn one way so I end up having to do a 270. I'd vote for a steerable tailwheel unless weight is a big factor.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:35 PM
OldCoot
My Feedback: (47)

Thanks for the good info.
I am putting an FS90 on the plane so I may need a little tail weight.
Looks like the sullivan is the way to go !!
Old 11-11-2004, 11:59 PM
CP140

Since you've already decided to go the Sullivan route, this is probably late...but let me add my vote for the Sullivan tailwheels. I've got one on a 4-Star 40(I had the problems with the wire in the fin popping out the side of the rudder) which works well and convinced me to use one on my Hog Bipe...also works well.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:11 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Welcome. I forgot to mention a third option, the non-steerable, but free turning, tailwheel. One of the guys has one of these at the field. Takeoffs appear to be ok, as does the groundhandling on a calm day. However, the slightest bit of wind makes it nearly impossible for him to even taxi the thing. The weather vane effect seems to be tough to overcome.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:54 PM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

piper chuck,
I think that's what he meant when he says "castoring tailwheel" in the first post. I added landing gear to a small SPAD plane and used a castoring tailwheel. It was one ground looping plane on takeoffs. There wasn't enough rudder area to steer the plane before it ground looped. Ended up having to hook up the tailwheel to the rudder servo for control. Having enough rudder area is a requirement for good ground handling and no steerable tailwheel.

Jesse