Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Gluing the canopy on

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Gluing the canopy on

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 10:30 AM
jbloom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gluing the canopy on

So I see Canopy Glue for sale at tower hobbies. It says it will glue the canopy to wood, fiberglass, monokote and more. My question is this. Is there something at Lowe's or Home Depot that works as good? Since there isn't a local hobby store within 40 miles of me.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:57 AM
GoMike

Default RE: Gluing the canopy on

jbloom:
I recently tried E6000 glue on the recommendation made in another thread here at RCU. Some guys said it's the same as PFM - I don't know because I never used PFM. But the E6000 worked very well - gave me plenty of time to position the canopy; the excess just rubbed off when it was semi-dry; very strong sticking power; still flexible when cured; sticks to just about anything. I bought mine at Wal-Mart in the craft department for less than $3.00 a tube. I stripped a little covering off and glued the canopy directly to the wood on my Tiger2 and it's there to stay.

Mike
Old 11-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I mark around the canopy with A marker then just use A small pin to poke some holes around the INSIDE of my marked line, I then just use thick CA glue. The glue wicks into the holes and bonds with the balsa under the covering so it is A very secure method of gluing cowls and canopy, you don't have very much time to move things around though so be quick.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:19 PM
phread59

Believe it or not I have used Shoo-Goo. It is available at your local Whatevermart. Works well. Just a little thick. Have to be careful. Goop would also work. Once again available at whatevermart.

Mark Shuman
Old 11-20-2004, 04:08 PM
Ernie Misner

Just what is it about canopy glue that makes it special? Anyone know?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 11-20-2004, 04:24 PM
rctrax

Good c anopy glue will stick to just about every thing and more important I dries clear so any the gets on the canopy or windshield will disappear when it cures out.The old rc56 canopy glue was imo the best but I'm sure it is available anymore. pacer 560 is however just about the same. Lately I just use small no.2 button head screws and tape to cover the joint.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:31 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

There is not better stuff than Shoo Goo or PFM, it will glue anything to anything and hold indefinitely. It also is removable if you should ever have to take it off for revovering, etc...

DP
Old 11-21-2004, 07:00 PM
Ernie Misner

Hey rctrax, what kind of tape are you using to go around the edges of the canopy??'

Ernie
Old 11-21-2004, 09:45 PM
rctrax

I just split common plastical tape in half or whatever wide width you want and stretch it around. It stays quite good and is easy and cheap to replace.