Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

U-joint for motor mount instead of flaps?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

U-joint for motor mount instead of flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 09:24 PM
jimjacobs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-joint for motor mount instead of flaps?

I am thinking about using some sort of a u-joint to connect up an electric motor to the front end of a balsa scratch plane so that it doesn't use flaps but moves the motor left/right and up/down to control direction. Does that sound doable or does anyone know of any other posts/links/folks that have tried it before? In particular, I've been thinking about different ways I could mount the motor to the nose and figure some sort of universal joint would be one option.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 12-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Stew99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: U-joint for motor mount instead of flaps?

I've seen 3D type planes that use thrust differential on twin engines to help turn the plane but I don't know of any that use a vectorable single engine. If you are suggesting using vectorable thrust instead of the normal flight controls, this would be fun to experiment with but I think I would try it on one of those indestructable foam planes first. What would be even cooler would be to couple a vectorable thrust control with the regular flight controls. A plane like that would be capable of some really bizarre manuevers.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:41 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

By flaps and everything else you wrote, I assume you mean ailerons, elevators and rudder instead of flaps? Flaps are used to give you a steeper descent angle without increasing speed.

Vectored thrust has been used to enhance control, but I don't personally know of any that have strickly vectored thrust as control. It may work on a trainer or high lift wing, but I would add the controls as backup till you find out what its going to do. anything is possible. Its basically how a helicopter moves. It re-vectors the airflow from the rotor disc.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Stew99

I've seen 3D type planes that use thrust differential on twin engines to help turn the plane but I don't know of any that use a vectorable single engine. If you are suggesting using vectorable thrust instead of the normal flight controls, this would be fun to experiment with but I think I would try it on one of those indestructable foam planes first. What would be even cooler would be to couple a vectorable thrust control with the regular flight controls. A plane like that would be capable of some really bizarre manuevers.
Some of the cheap electrics have no flight controls at all. Just motor thrust variations. The twins turn with differential, and climb/descend with power.
It's useable, but not all that practical for other than a disposable toy.
Insufficent authority/response for good controllable flying, more than gentle turning and climb/dives.
A motor on a gimbal is an exercise in connecting the axis controlling hardware, as well as figuring out the torque resistance needed so it doesn't twist itself right off the front of the plane.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for an experiment, I mounted a pair of speed 400 motors about halfway out on the ailerons on a Zagi type flying wing. Bit of a dissapointment as it didn't do anything spectular. Even had differential throttle control operated by the rudder stick.