Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Know when to quit!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Know when to quit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 10:39 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Know when to quit!!!

What a day. Started out great. UPS dropped off 2 Bambulas for my FPE 2.4. I mounted it and ran it. All went well until the horizontal stab. slammed into my calf and took a 4" piece of the l.e. out. So I repaired that and now need to cover it. Then I decide to put radio equipment in an older spray plane so I can fly it. It is a beautiful bird with little to no air time. I had it up on my plastic saw horse made to hold planes while installing stuff. I went to my wood pile to get some hardwood for mounting the servos and while I was looking for wood I hear this bang. Looked up and SH*T the plane fell off the saw horse. Busted off the tail feathers and busted the elevator in half. So now I need to pull back all sheeting to fix the tail section and assess the damage. While doing this I just decide that I would just recover the whole thing anyways. I begin to disasemble the tail section and was taking the pins out of the hinges with the tip of my xacto knife when the knife cracked and my hand flew back and my finger caught the busted part of the knife. Severing my finger a half inch long by about 1/4" deep.

Well needless to say that someone must be telling me to quit.

I really need encouragement. I almost took that plane and tossed it accross the basement, but knew that would not be a good way to let my anger out.

What do you guys do when you have a crap day like this and it seems like your planes hate you?

Oh here are pics of the spray plane. What color should I cover it in? I really like the color now. Maybe I'll find the same color and just recover the fuse.
what do you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67105.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	201200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41119.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	201201  
Old 12-09-2004, 11:26 PM
robert92679

Default RE: Know when to quit!!!

ORIGINAL: IowaSilvia

What do you guys do when you have a crap day like this and it seems like your planes hate you?
I've had a day or two similar to that. Your subject line says it all though. Know when to quit. If it isn't working, throw in the towel and have a cold one (or two... or three...).

I've seen guys at the field having one of those days. They'll struggle with the engine or radio or something, think they have it fixed and hurry to get the plane in the air. Before you know it, the plane is spiraling into the ground.

Hope your finger is feeling better. I also stuck mine last night with the pointy end of a #11 blade. It was late, but thought I'd finish one more step. Should of known when to quit. I ended up bleeding all over the instructions for that step I had to finish.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:05 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I know whatcha mean. When a day starts out snake-bit, it generally stays snake-bit. I just put down the tools and go in the house and watch the tube. Hopefully before I've created some major catastrophy, but I'm usually not that lucky.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:38 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would have quit when I busted the leading edge
Old 12-10-2004, 07:04 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

I hate days like that! [:@]
I'm with robert on this one.... go have a few and "relax". Work on another hobby. Amaze the better half by not being in the shop.... whatever works.

I like the light blue also, looks real nice. Doesn't it get hard to see sometimes? Or do you just keep it close?
Old 12-10-2004, 07:37 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

Well, I have weeks like that! As a last resort, if nothing is going right you could always spend some time with the Wife - maybe shopping near a LHS?.

I like white with red/black trim.

Steve
Old 12-10-2004, 08:04 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back about 30 years ago I had a plane like that. It fought me from the time
I opened the box. (no arf's in those days) It was a tough build all the way, even the
simple things turned out to be difficult. I did finish it before it finished me but not without
a ton of grief. The first day at the field with the beast ,it never got off the ground. My 4 yr
old son tripped and fell on the tail breaking off the stab. Got that fixed for the next day.
The next day comes, and goes, again no flight , this time due to a radio problem.
Got that fixed in time for the following weekend and managed to get a flight but not
without incident. This type of crap went on for about 2 months, one thing after another.
I don't think I got more than 3 or 4 flights in those months that I would consider "quality air time"
In despair I sold that plane and engine to a fellow flier who knew my history with it. He then flew
that same rig for years without any trouble at all.

It would seem that the plane indeed, hated me .

I haven't run across this type of thing again in 30+ years , but if it did start a relationship again
like that.......................IT"S GONE !!!!!

Regards
Roby
Old 12-10-2004, 11:49 AM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

Well, I really like the light blue but like that one guy said the visibility might suck. That's why I asked what I shoul recover it in. I've never flown it, so I don't know how the light blue looks in the sky.

I'm afraid to even start on it today. I think I'll clean up the house a bit before attempting to wrassle with it.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:02 AM
LuckyArmpit

My Cessna Skylane was like that. Everything with it was a struggle. Its demise was the 4th flight. 1st flight, bad servo connector.
2nd flight, engine loose on the mount. 4th flight, was actually flying very nice when xtal in rx quit and plane spiraled in from 150 feet.
Upon taking the beast apart, put in the last razor on my hobby knife. Whilst cutting finger by the joint, knife fell on floor and tip of razor breaks! That plane is possessed!!!! Gonna have a fire ritual shortly!

Dave...