Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wing ribs

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 11:49 PM
Airdale CPO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing ribs

I have a question about making ribs for an existing wing. I have a straight flat bottom wing on a advanced trainer and would like to know if I could convert it to a symmetrical wing by copying the original installed ribs in CA'ing them. Basically mirroring the ribs. The plane flies good but I want better. I plan on recovering the whole aircraft and just thought that by doing the conversion that it will really improve the flying and aerobatic characteristics. Any thoughts? Any tricks?

Maybe I should add that I have never built a kit yet and this would be my first attempt. I have repaired wings and fuse's but that is about the extent of my building abilities.

Thanks
Brian
Old 12-27-2004, 07:28 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Wing ribs

I would not suggest it. There are a few things you're forgetting - Like you'll have to change the shape of the wing saddle on the fuse to fit the new design.

Also, how can this be an advanced trainer with a flat-bottom wing? The very bottom may be flat, but the LE should sweep up slightly making it a semi-symmetrical wing. That's going to make it a little more difficult too.

Here's an idea, Get a Midwest Aerobat. They cost like 150 bucks, but they go together in one day, and are totally complete (Less engine and radio) and they are very aerobatic.

Here is a link to a review of one:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=164
Old 12-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Airdale CPO

MinnFlyer,

Thanks for your input. I did check out the video that was provided in the web address but.........maybe I should have told you a little more about my aircraft prior to posting.

I was given the wing that is on the aircraft right now which has no dihedral and it is a flat bottom. Yes the LE does slope up over the top and this is a true flat bottom. No semi about it. I purchased a fuse from a LHS (Cessna 40), put a stab on from a Super Stick, and built the rudder by hand. I had a 40 size engine on it but had no vertical so I mounted an MDS .78. Yes its a bit much but she will go straight up.

I guess I want to tell you that this is really no ordinary !QUOT!trainer!QUOT! but maybe a challenged high wing aerobatic. I can knife edge the length of the field and snap like you wouldn't believe, spins are fast and actually been teaching myself to hover on this bird. Yes it will hover. (Well for about 7-9 seconds, then I get excited and it flops over)

So MinnFlyer, my advanced trainer is a little much and if my aircraft can do all that then.......Maybe save my money and buy a 40-60 size aerobatic model. The reason for asking in the first place was maybe to..... heck I don't know.....do something more with it or even if it could be done. Thanks again for your input and maybe i will just leave it alone.

"B"
Old 12-27-2004, 10:24 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you really feel like experimenting, why not try a SPAD? Take a look at the SPAD forum if you're not familliar with them
Old 12-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Airdale CPO

Minnflyer,

Thanks again and I will take a look at the SPAD forum. I think that I have seen them before but only for combat planes right? Anyway I will do some searching and come up with something. Again I appreciate the responses.

Brian
Old 12-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Montague

SPAD's aren't just for combat at all, there are lots of really cool, very non-combat SPAD's out there.

That said, if I understand what you are doing, you're talking about basically doubling the thickness of your wing? That won't fly at all like you expect. If you want a symetrical airfoil, you're better off just making one up, or better yet, finding some plans of a plane that flys more or less like you want, and borrowing that airfoil.

If you want to do your own airfoil, you can pretty much fake it if you want. Something around 13-18% thick is a good range for a sport plane. High point about 25-30% back from the LE. Nice blunt LE, say 1/2" radius. Draw pretty, rounded lines in between, and you have an airfoil.

You could just buy an avistar wing, and hack that to be no dihedral. Or pick some other sport plane and steal it's wing.

Based on what you say you're doing with your plane now, though, I think you'd probibly be happier just getting a new acrobatic plane as you suggested. Unless you just like building and designing stuff yourself.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Airdale,

My buddy and I have done that a lot on scale kits I wanted to fly better. He is in his 80s (a former Marine aviator from WW II & Korea) and likes scale, but he doesn't fly any more-can't look up very long. I do all of out flying. We have takes several scale kits and plans that came with flat bottom airfoils and added to the bottom of the ribs, re-shaped and covered over it. We did 2 biplanes, the little Hobby Hangar Fokker D-7 and the SE-5. That and 4 ailerons made them fly really well.

I say go for it. What we do is keep the original wing saddle and add the rib extensions outside the fuselage. Makes it easier this way.

I would suggest you check and set the incidence after you finish. Most of the trainer types have some positive incidence, if only from the curved leading edge. Prop your plane up level and measure up to the center of the leading and trailing edges. These should be the same. You might need to jack up the TE some. This is common. Put some square balsa underneath to shim it up. Fill in the gap with silicone glue/calk. You know, spread the silicone on, lay Handi-Wrap over it and put the wing in place and let it cure.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:59 AM
Airdale CPO

Ed, haven't written back in a while but re-reading post and I appreciate you saying to !QUOT!go for it!QUOT!. Well after looking checking and rechecking the wing, I don't think that I could do the build up. You see, when I go fly this aircraft and I put the wing on, I slide the dowel up front into position that then place the RH nylon wing bolt in (on the TE) and start it with a few threads. Once I start that wing bolt, now don't freak out, I have to basically push the TE of the LH side of the wing about 1/4-3/8 of an inch to get the LH nylon bolt started. Once in, they both go down without a hitch. Yep, and the aircraft has over 30 flights on it with me snapping it hard, spinning, and just basically tearing up the skies.

With me having to manipulate the wing on, I don't think that I could start the wing ribs outside the saddle as you said and as I was thinking about doing and it being airworthy. Thanks for the comments though.

!QUOT!B!QUOT!
Old 01-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: Airdale CPO

Minnflyer,

Thanks again and I will take a look at the SPAD forum. I think that I have seen them before but only for combat planes right? Anyway I will do some searching and come up with something. Again I appreciate the responses.

Brian
Airdale, check out my SPAD's! They just aren't for combat, anymore!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87485.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	214569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58563.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	214570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89631.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	214571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73143.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	214572  
Old 01-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Deadeye

And my gasser SPAD:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77769.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	214574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54455.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	214575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75625.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	214576  
Old 01-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Airdale CPO

Deadeye,

Those are WAY COOL[sm=eek.gif]!!!! They look like balsa aircraft. I have been trying to find someone in my area that fly's them. I need to look more into it.

Thanks again,
Brian