Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Storing My Planes

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Storing My Planes

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 04:11 PM
Philip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing My Planes

I have just recently built a 12x12 workshop. I used to build and store all my stuff in my office at my house. Should I continue storing some things inside (i.e. fuel,batt.,rx,tx.chargers,etc.) or will they be ok in my shop? It is not climate control yet but I am putting in a a/c unit. It will only be on when I am working in thier.
Will this fluctuation in temp. hurt my planes,engine,etc.?
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2001, 06:37 PM
Steve Campbell2

Philip,

Our climate is very unfriendly to r/c stuff. The heat in the summer kills batteries- the humidity year round rusts everything that will rust, but especially your engine bearings. The heat & humidity also doesn't do the wood structures any good.

I keep all my stuff (to include fuel) in the house in my "hobby room"; a spare bedroom. Where you are is even worse than where I am, humidity-wise. Plus, you've got a touch of salt in the air down there.

I convinced my wife to allow me to keep the stuff inside by explaining how doing so would dramatically increase the longevity of the equipment; i.e., it would not need to be replaced often due to deterioration. We didn't discuss dumb thumbs...<G>

When she balked at keeping the fuel indoors, I simply led her to the cabinet under the sink, and showed her the labels on all the cleaning compounds, etc., under there. MAJOR ethyl-methyl terribles under there. Lucky me; she is practical and actually realizes a fact when she sees one- as opposed to refusing to be confused by facts, as most women are.

At the very least, I would keep your window unit running constantly during the summer, on low to dehumidify; you can turn it off the three or so days a year it gets "cold". I HATE the climate here, and am carrying my butt west as soon as I retire.

BTW, thanks for the info on Saito engines in the other thread. I'm still mulling that one over...

Steve
Old 12-22-2001, 05:12 AM
James Goss

I keep about 40 planes, all sizes including 1/3 and 1/2 scale, in my out building. It is a 30x60 metal building. I don't like to keep my radios in this building, I always keep them inside my home workshop. If you plug your engines with muffler and carb covers the moisture can't get to them. I have been doing this for many years with no problems. A word on safety, never keep your fuel in your home, always store it in an out building.
Old 12-22-2001, 05:45 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by James Goss
A word on safety, never keep your fuel in your home, always store it in an out building.
Would you care to elaborate on this? I would like to hear your thought's or reasons for this. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2001, 02:22 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you live, James? Phillip and I live in the sub-tropics of south Louisiana- a miserable climate indeed. And moisture, like love, always finds a way....

And I too would be interested to hear why you are against storing model fuel in your house, but probably have rubbing alcohol, bleach, etc., in less-secure containers than the fuel is in??????

Steve
Old 12-23-2001, 09:02 PM
James Goss

Default Storing fuel in your home

Fellows I live in Central Alabama where it is also pretty humid at times. As for storing fuel in your home; this is something I have never done. I don’t think you will find any fire code, national or local, that allows you to store flammable engine fuel in your home. If you decide to keep storing fuel in your home I would recommend that you check with your homeowners insurance and get it in writing that it is ok. I don’t think they will pay off if you have an in home fire and they find fuel stored in your home. Some flammable items are a necessity in the home and are excepted by all insurance companies, but model fuel stored in bulk(two or three gallons) is not one of them. So why take a chance like that? James Goss
Old 12-26-2001, 03:38 PM
Philip

Thanks Guys for the advise. I have only been modeling for about 1 and 1/2 yrs. now, so i am a little wet behind the ears. I am limited on how much i can spend on my hobby so I want to take the best care of my stuff. Steve I hear you guys have a nice flying field off of Seigon. I would like to visit one day and maybe fly their is that a problem with your club? We fly on a pretty small field, we just lost our good one to a subdivision. In case you have not heard we seem to be booming down here. 20,000 residents in 3yrs. must be the food. Thanks again guys
Old 12-26-2001, 04:08 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Philip,

While I was at one time a member of the Red Stick club on Burbank (off the end of Siegen Lane), I left when I moved up to Zachary- 20 miles north of BR. BTW, that field is not long for this world, either. They've got a subdivision encroaching from the west, and as soon as the soccer moms who frequent the new BREC park to the south wake up, they'll be screaming to have the model flying shut down before it becomes a danger to their babies.

I now mainly fly at a semi-private field north of Zachary. It's on top of a hill WAY out in the country, and the landowner is the club president-for-life, so we don't have to worry about politics, neighbors, or idiot women who don't mind allowing their sons to beat their brains out playing soccer but are worried that a model airplane may go out of control and injure them. It would be quite a long drive for you, but you are certainly welcome to visit, and fly if you have an MA card.

The welcome you receive at Red Stick depends upon who is there. I don't know much about the current membership, but when I was active in the club there was a contingent of retired guys (and one out-of-work {by choice} guy) who were decidely hostile to anyone not fitting "their" mold, or who flew stuff they weren't interested in. Perhaps that is over with; I just don't know.

You might check out the club south of New Iberia. They have a very nice field and a healthy club. I think they call themselves the Cane Cutters.

Sorry to hear about losing your field. The Red Stick guys are looking this in the eye, but seem to have adopted a head-in-the-sand attitude about it. Other area clubs have already put membership caps in place to forestall a flood of new members when Red Stick gets shut down. Sad, but necessary...

Steve