Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Problems with fuel leaking!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Problems with fuel leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 06:24 PM
model pilot 14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with fuel leaking!

This Past summer was my first year flying a glow plane(Hobbico avistar) On my last day at the field for the summer I began fueling up and noticed it was taking longer than normal. I then noticed fuel leaking out of where the landing gear were attached to the plane. I cleaned it all up and put it away for the year. I was wondering if it is a good idea or not to drill a hole in the bottom of the fuselage in the fuel compartment to allow fuel to spill out there rather than fill up , go over the ribs, and send my radio gear floating downstream. Also let me know how I can better fuel proof the interior so the fuel doesn't get into the balsa

Thanks

Nick
Old 01-13-2005, 06:32 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Problems with fuel leaking!

Not a bad idea, but not necessary. maintance every year should be to change fuel line and check for leaks in your tank anyways......

to fuel proof.........use either thin CA and glue all the wood or use some epoxy mixed with rubbing alcohol and brush it on. Both create a fuel proof format.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:47 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: model pilot 14

This Past summer was my first year flying a glow plane(Hobbico avistar) On my last day at the field for the summer I began fueling up and noticed it was taking longer than normal. I then noticed fuel leaking out of where the landing gear were attached to the plane. I cleaned it all up and put it away for the year. I was wondering if it is a good idea or not to drill a hole in the bottom of the fuselage in the fuel compartment to allow fuel to spill out there rather than fill up , go over the ribs, and send my radio gear floating downstream. Also let me know how I can better fuel proof the interior so the fuel doesn't get into the balsa

Thanks

Nick
You do not need to drill a hole for the fuel to run out - fix the problem. It sounds like your problem is one of 2 things. Either the tank has a hole in it or the stopper/lines are loose or bad.

You will need to pull the tank out of the plane. I suggest taping a piece of string to the fuel lines before pulling them out - it will help you a lot when reinstalling the tank.

After you get the tank out check the plug to make sure it is tight. If it is tight AND there is no visual damage to the tank AND/OR fuel lines, plug/crimp off ONE of the silicone lines and blow through the other. For easy identification of where there is a leak, submerge the tank in a container of water while you do this.

If the tank is bad, replace it. I have not found a repair for the tanks that lasts very long before the fuel does it in.

You want to spray the inside of the fuel compartment with K2R to get the oil from the fuel out of the wood. Spray it on, let it dry, brush it off. You will probably need to do several applications to get the oil out.

Once the oil is out of the wood (and for future reference), brush a THIN application of thinned epoxy on the inside of the plane. I use 30 minute (or longer) epoxy and thin it down about 10% by volume with acetone. A plumber's flux brush works great for this. Another possibility would be clear dope. The epoxy will be a lot more fuel proof though.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Stick Jammer

model pilot 14,
As mentioned, a hole in the bottom of the fuse isn't necessary, just fix the problem. Get into the habit of counting to yourself when filling the tank from empty until fuel comes out of the vent line. This will tell you immediately when more than the normal amount of fuel is going in so you can stop before the fuse gets flooded.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:59 PM
CafeenMan

CA is not fuel proof. Nitro dissolves CA.