Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

lazy bee "what to cover with?"

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

lazy bee "what to cover with?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 10:46 PM
going down

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lazy bee "what to cover with?"

hi to all:

for a clancey lazy bee, what would be a light way to cover it?

thanks,
Old 09-04-2002, 02:02 PM
spyderweb
My Feedback: (1)

Default Lazy Bee Covering

I like to use LightSpan. Get it at Hobby Lobby (www.hobby-lobby.com) they have good description of the stuff.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:49 PM
bolar-RCU

Default Bee's

I covered my Bee's in transparent Monokote. Mostly because it is easier to get. The hobby stores in my area only have Monokote.
Old 09-07-2002, 04:49 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lazy bee "what to cover with?"

I built my standard (40") Lazy Bee 3 or 4 winters ago and used Micafilm. I do not know if it is available anymore, but it is tough, and light. I bought two or three rolls at a swapmeet. I think there are similar products around.

My Bee' weighs in at 1 lb, 9 oz's with hitec HS80 servos, a 555 reciever and 250mah bat pack. I am using dave brown foam wheels and have an OS 15 LA engine on it (had an OS 10 FP, went to the 15 this year) turning an APC 7-4 prop. Excellent low speed flight, at a walking pacem, and scoots along well with the 15.

I have seen two others in my club guys used regular sized radio gear, a larger engine (.20 I think) and monokote. They cam in at 2.5 lbs and flew like hell compared to mine.

KEEP IT LIGHT!

Andrew Coholic
Old 09-19-2002, 02:38 AM
Wh00ps

Default Covering the Bee

Another good covering material for the Lazy Bee is Ultracote Lite. It's very thin and light, yet very strong. One of the main reasons I decided to use it instead of Litespan or Micafilm was because it's the regular adhesive-backed type material that I'm used to covering with. It only comes in the transparent colors, but it works very well for light structures such as the bee. Being so thin, it also goes around compound curves very well. It sticks on and shrinks up at a fairly low heat setting as well.

-Mike
Old 10-10-2003, 08:37 PM
push rodz
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: lazy bee "what to cover with?"

Going Down -

I did the same thing with mine as bolar-RC and used MonoKote on my Lazy Bee. There was no problem with it warping the wing as some have experienced here on RCU. If you built yours "by the plans" it is super light and the MonoKote really doesn't add that much weight as compared to Lite Span or some of the other light weight coverings.

Follow this link to a thread that I started a while back to view my extended wing Lazy Bee - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...tm.htm#1050413

Good luck with whatever covering you finally decide on.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:41 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would use the Micafilm too. It's as light as, but much tougher than the other materials and gives a more rigid skin.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:30 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tough as nails mica film is!!

True story - my lazy bee wing was in the back of my truck, and my 78 pound dog stepped on the wing by accident (saw a cat). There were some small scratches where she put her paw on it, but the micafilm didnt tear through!! Luckily she stepped between ribs and there wasnt any structural damage.

Andrew
Old 10-12-2003, 05:07 PM
cabanestrut2002

its got to be LiteSpan for me, i have built 3 and used it on all of them, its the lightest covering you can get away with on this model, looks really good and is tough as old boots. easyto use aswell