Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Worn out ARFs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Andy McC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worn out ARFs?

Has anyone worn out an ARF other than by crash damage ? I have been flying a Phoenix Scanner for a couple of years. During that time its had its usual share of rough landings, hanger rash etc. Its getting a bit tatty and I have completed running repairs to the covering etc. Recently I have had to repair some cross member joints where the glue appears to have given up. This has got me thinking about the life expectancy of these models which I assume are assembled in China or Vietnam etc. How good is the glue, are there any dry joints that eventually give up. Do I keep flying risking my radio gear/engine etc if there is a major failure caused by wear.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:20 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Worn out ARFs?

I have sold almost all of my ARFs after very few flights, so no, I haven't worn one out. I have however worn out a few built up. I had a shoestring that was painted that had more stress cracks in it than not. We always said that when it came apart, it would be spectacular. Man was that an understatement! Was the most amazing explosion of parts I have seen. I flew it hard, right up to the end. It had never been dinged or crashed or mistreated, and the stress cracks would be repaired with thin CA, but eventually, it just let go in a high G maneuver. It flew for many many years though. Got my moneys worth out of that thing many times over.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:21 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

My Kougar, a kit, exploded after 9 1/2 years. The oldest ARF that I have is only 5 or 6 years old, and it looks fine, Kyosho Cap232. But the rudder cables are coming apart. Hmm, that reminds me.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:12 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been flying a Magic Extra for a couple of seasons, and I know what you mean Andy...
It seems like I have to fix something after each time I take it out I have replaced the right aileron and elevator and the rudder due to oil soakage (is that a word?) and the fuse. covering has tried to shed itself for about a year now...2 buddys of mine each gave theirs to me after only flying them for a few months, so I have spare parts.

I personally don't expect many ARFs to last anywhere near as long as a well built kit. If the ARF is prepared properly (seams sealed, and other precautions taken ) I think it oughta last a couple-three years, but after that I think it's "borrowed time"

I have given some away to new guys who end up crackin' em up (pilot error usually ) fairly quickly anyway, so I don't have too many planes kickin' around. Besides, that gives me an excuse to get annother one...
Old 02-09-2005, 02:02 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I eventually wore out a GP Ultra Sport 40 ARF (the foam/plastic skin version), but it took more than 10 yrs of very hard flying & a few minor prangs.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:01 PM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

I built a Super Hots kit by midwest. I wore out 3 engines, 3 sets of wheels, 4 sets of clevis and pushrods and finally A battery buss strap came apart and down it went. This was battery #3 and I just got a poorly welded battery.

But the plane was in great shape. I flew it for 13 years and the monokote red faded to orange in the sun. I recovered it and flew it for 2 more years before it went straight in due to battery failure.

I would expect that if you monitor a ARF closely and when you see a problem fix it,, the plane should last until the nose hits the dirt. Have fun.. Jim