Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Mac smoke system?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Mac smoke system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 01:50 PM
TheParrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac smoke system?

Hey I've been looking for a smoke system for my Somethin Extrawith a 46FX. Anyone have any experience with this Macs smoke system? It says it will work with 20-60 size engine. I figured I would drop in a 2 oz tank. Any opinions?

Heres a link
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZ674&P=7
Old 02-25-2005, 10:24 AM
ksoulant
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mac smoke system?

I have used the Mac's system on a .35 enya in a Super Chipmunk and it works great. This is how I set it up.

1. You must have a area to tap the crank case, some engines have a built up area on the back plate just for this. The Mac's system
requires that you have pressure to the tank to move the smoke fluid.

2. Your airplane should have enough space in the fuel tank area for 2 tanks. I run two 4oz. tanks this gives me about 6-8 minutes fly
time and 3 minutes smoke.

3. The smoke fluid has to be pre-heated. A small 2-stroke does not generate enough heat to vaporize the fluid. I will explain how to do
this latter.

4. The tank needs 2 vent lines and one pickup line.

5. Plumbing needs to be correct. From the crank case run a line through one of the openings in the red valve and then to the first
vent line.

6. The second vent line serves as an over flow when filling the tank, this line must be plugged after filling the tank.

7. The next line is the trick, this is your pickup line from the clunk in the tank. Run this line to an easy fueler fuel valve, (Tower Hobbies stock # TY6468) it does two things it acts as a check valve to maintain flow in one direction and when filling the tank it only sends the fluid to the tank.

8. From the easy fueler valve you must pre-heat the fluid, I use 1/8 copper tubing from the corner hardware it is soft and easy to bend
Wrap it around the head of the engine 3-4 times. From here you need to tap into the exhaust manifold not the muffler if your engine
I have used the Mac's system on a .35 enya in a Super Chimpmunk and it works great. This is how I set it up.

1. You must have a area to tap the crank case, some engines have a built up area on the back plate just for this. The Mac's system
requiers that you have presure to the tank to move the smoke fluid.

2. Your airplane should have enough space in the fuel tank area for 2 tanks. I run two 4oz. tanks this gives me about 6-8 minutes fly
time and 3 minutes smoke.

3. The smoke fluid has to be pre-heated. A small 2-stroke does not generate enough heat to vaporize the fluid. I will explane how to do
this latter.

4. The tank needs 2 vent lines and one pickup line.

5. Plumbing needs to be correct. From the crank case run a line through one of the openings in the red valve and then to the first
vent line.

6. The second vent line serves as an over flow when filling the tank, this line must be pluged after filling the tank.

7. The next line is the trick, this is your pickup line from the clunk in the tank. Run this line to an easy fueler fuel valve, (Tower Hobbies stock # TY6468) it does two things it acts as a check valve to maintain flow in one direction and when filling the tank it only sends the fluid to the tank.

8. From the easy fueler valve run it through the second opening in the red on off valve.

9. You must pre-heat the fluid, I use 1/8 copper tubing from the corner hardware store it is soft and easy to bend.
Wrap it around the head of the engine 3-4 times. From here you need to tap into the exhaust manifold on the muffler if your engine has small cooling fins grind just enough of them off to tap for the nipple.

10. Next you need an extra channel for the control servo this will turn the system on and off. If it is all hooked up correctly you should
have great smoke.

Tower sells a book on how to set up smoke systems, "Secret Smoke Success Tips" by Albert Tejera WWW.TMEnet.COM