Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spinner and Prop Size

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spinner and Prop Size

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Ian-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spinner and Prop Size

If I have a large spinner on an aircraft say 3 inch spinner with an 11 inch prop, if I subtract the 3 inches from the 11 inches am I in fact ending up with an 8 inch prop? Does this unload the prop? would if be ok to use a larger prop than is recommended for the engine in use? Hope this makes sense.
Thanks Ian
Old 02-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spinner and Prop Size

No, you do not end up with an 8" prop. You still have an 11" prop. Total diameter and pitch are the governing variables. Plus, the prop area under the spinner does little work anyway.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:28 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Really depends on the size engine. If it's a .40 size, there's not much margin to increase prop diameter over 11 inches. The spinner will actually help, as it smooths the turbulent airflow over the front of the plane and reduces some of the drag , and allows the prop to operate a bit more efficiently. As stated above, the innermost inch or two at the prop hub doesn't do much, the outer half of the blades do most of the work, regardless of diameter.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:00 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Traditionally you would use a spinner that is about 20% to 25% of the diameter of the prop.......

but you can use other sizes depending on your application

for me a 3" spinner for an 11" prop seems a bit big, but if it works.....go with it
Old 02-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Stick Jammer

If I have a large spinner on an aircraft say 3 inch spinner with an 11 inch prop, if I subtract the 3 inches from the 11 inches am I in fact ending up with an 8 inch prop?
As already stated, no you're not ending up with an 8" prop. Total area for an 11" prop is about 95 sq. inches. Total area for an 8" prop is 50 sq. inches. When the math is done for your example in regards to the total area the prop encompasses, you are actually only losing about 3 square inches of the total prop area when using a 3" spinner instead of a 2" spinner. The hub of the prop takes up about an inch and as stated, the next inch or two doesn't really contribute much as far as propulsion. It is indeed to outer most area of the blades that do all the work. Take a look at the size of the cowl on a model Gee Bee in comparison to the prop. Very little of the blade tips protrude beyond the cowl, but the prop still produces the required thrust to fly the plane.