Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fixing Servo's in the Wing ???????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fixing Servo's in the Wing ???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 06:01 PM
DragonHeart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing Servo's in the Wing ???????

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can help, i just got a Balsa Cabin Corsair off ebay but the guy who sold it took the wing servos out............... as you can see in the pic the wing is a foam core wing and ive never put servos in a foam wing before..........

Whats the best way to put new servo's in ?????? what do i need to use to secure them in place ?????????????? do i need to add any wood etc ????

Any Help would be appreciated thx......

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31536.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	231690  
Old 02-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fixing Servo's in the Wing ???????

You are half way home. He left pull cords.

The way I would do it is:

First, I presume there were plastic wells with covers initially. If you don't want to go through this see if you can get them from the manufacturer.

Based on the photo, the servo was showing originally. You need to cut yourself a piece of plywood to fit the hole. Guessing on the size of the plane, I would say the circle needs to be 1/8" ply. Now you will need to fabricate a partial "ring" so it will fit into the hole far enough to provide support for the servo and cover. The circular cover will screw or CA onto the ring. Position the ring and cover in place (do not ca/epoxy in place yet ) and determine the position of the servo on the cover so that the servo arm will reach the aileron pushrod without the pushrod being at an angle. Trace around the base of the servo to determine the size hole you will need.

Cut the hole out of the cover and drill your pilot holes for the servo. CA/epoxy the cover to the partial ring. Be careful not to get any on the OUTSIDE of the ring or cover or it will make it difficult when you go to do a final install of this assembly.

Lay the servo on top of the wing and see how long an extension you will need to get to the center of the wing. If the extension is going to be 18" or longer, get a HEAVY DUTY extension with gold plated connectors. This will keep any electrical power loss to a minimum Make sure you either tape the connection from the servo to the extension or use one of the specialized connectors to keep the connection from coming apart.

After you have put the finish on the wing, pull your servo lead through the cover and wing. Epoxy the ring to the foam wing and screw the servo in place. DO NOT GET ANY EPOXY ON THE SERVO LEAD OR EXTENSION. This will prevent you from removing the servo/extension at a future date.

As I said initially, I would see if you can get the wells and covers from the manufacturer. It will make life easier for you.

Old 02-20-2005, 03:32 AM
DragonHeart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fixing Servo's in the Wing ???????

Thx alot campy for the detailed reply.......

Unfortunatly i doubt that i can get replacement wells as its an american brand and im in the uk (i think they were abs ones by looking at a review of this kit)...... so i will give a go to what u have suggested with the ply ring..... i guess u only learn by trying

Thx once again for ur reply