Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Coverig question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Coverig question

Old 02-27-2005, 05:51 PM
talon_77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coverig question

I'm in the final stages of constuction on my Balsa USA Nieuport 28 and can't decide what is the best way to cover it. I was thinking of using Antique White Super Coverite Fabric Covering and use automotive paint for the coloring. But...as I read the tech info on the covering, it says to use only 21st Century paint on the fabric.
Quote..."21st C paint is not known to be compatible with any other brands of paint so we STRONGLY recommend against using other paints on your 21st Century fabric."
Is this just one of those scare tactics to make you use there product? They don't really have a huge selection of paint.
Or...am I taking the wrong approach to covering my model....any help, tips, or technique's would be greatly appreciated!!!

Brian
[&:]
Old 02-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Coverig question

Since you plan on painting, why don't you use Koverall instead ?

If you want to stay with the Coverite, use latex to paint it. Latex is compatible with everything. Here is a link to an excellent article by Roy Vallencourt on painting with latex.
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/how_to/latex1.asp

If you decide to paint with latex, be sure you add 1 1/2 caps of FloTrol per quart of undiluted paint and spray at 25 - 30 psi.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:21 PM
ecmiller

I am building a 1/3 scale Balsa USA Sopwith Pup. I am in the middle of covering it and have chosen to use Solartex as recomended by the mfg. Man is that nice stuff.

I have covered several planes with Coverite fabric and find the Solartex to be more forgiving around curves. It has a better quality adhesive. Pair the adhesive with Balsarite on the framework and it is not coming off. Also seems blend better as well, nearly invisible.

I recommend Solartex....highly!!
Old 02-28-2005, 06:50 AM
talon_77

ecmiller...do you plan on painting after your done with the covering? If so...what type of paint will you use?

Brian
Old 02-28-2005, 03:07 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I covered my WACO with Cover Rite. I used LustrKot primer and paint with no problems.

I've used Cover Rite before and primed with spray can auto primer, also with no problems.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82269.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	236129  
Old 02-28-2005, 03:27 PM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian:

Super Coverite & 21st Century Fabric are NOT the same animal. the 21st Century Fabric comes already colored.

Les
Old 02-28-2005, 07:37 PM
ecmiller

Talon 77

The only part that calls for paint is the verticle fin. I plan on using 21st Century spray paint.