Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Your Brand of Nitrate dope?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Your Brand of Nitrate dope?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 09:39 PM
bipeaddict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Brand of Nitrate dope?

What brand of nitrate dope do you use?

Is it non-taughtening or taughtening?

Ever use Randolph Products? Classic Aero? Certified Coatings Products? Who makes SIG mfg nitrate dope?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 03-01-2005, 10:48 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Your Brand of Nitrate dope?

I am currently using Certified, taughtening nitrate; mostly because of availability. I have used Randolph and Classic Aero, but I believe that Classic Aero has gone away in face of the EPA, and the demand for dope. Don't know who makes Sig, but I have used that also.

Les
Old 03-01-2005, 12:23 PM
bipeaddict

Les,

Thanks for the response. What is the primary fabric that you use? I have been looking at SIG Koverall. How much shrinkage do you get with the fabric and dope combo that you use.

I am looking for a combo that will work for me for a 1/3 scale Krier Kraft. I also intend on using the klasskote paints. I have been using the klasskote on a sailboat project and the results have been good.

Thanks for your help,

Jim
Old 03-02-2005, 10:46 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

My primary fabric these days (electric only) is silk. When I was a gasser , I once used Koverall and swore that for the effort I would go back to silk. The adhesive to hold the fabric to the airframe stuck to my iron soooooo badly, that I spent more time cleaning than I did covering. At that time I found that Super Coverite (adhesive already on the material) was much more user friendly. I cannot speak for current Super Coverite. I am given to understand that the EPA has struck again; the material has been reformulated; and I hear of problems. Koverall and Super Coverite are both heat shrinkeable, and if it was me I would use the heat, and NON taughtening nitrate. That way YOU control the shrink, not the dope. I think that probably your 1/3 scale is too large for silk, and I would be tempted to examine Solartex. You can buy white or antique; it is already colored and somewhat filled, but the fabric texture still shows. Depends on what you want. I have painted over Solartex, but it was soo long ago, I don't remember with what. The fuselage markings and rudder are painted, the roundells are made from vinyl trim.

Les
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64647.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	236994  
Old 03-02-2005, 01:06 PM
bipeaddict

Les,

I heard the same thing as you experienced with the koverall and adhesive. The recommendation was to use dope to secure the material to the airframe. If I go the Koverall route I use the non taughtening nitrate for glueing and sealing the fabric.

I have user Solartex and enjoy working with it. However, the Nelson Paint I used on the Solartex didn't stick very well even after sanding the solartex. I am going to try the Klasskote on the Solartex and see if I get a better result. That outcome will probably infuence which way I am going to go.

Very nice Stearman! Thanks for sharing the photo.

Jim
Old 03-03-2005, 10:15 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Thanks, and good luck with your project.

Les